JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Through a family member, I got free tickets to the lantern festival at the Racine Zoo and went last night. I thought I'd share some of the displays with you all. Temps were in the 30's and there was a light breeze, but it wasn't too bad for being late December. The place was packed with people. I'm kind of curious about what they'd have to do with all of the displays if we had a heavy snowfall.

IMG_4183 copy.jpg

IMG_4205 copy.jpg

IMG_4213 copy.jpg

IMG_4218 copy.jpg

IMG_4227 copy.jpg

IMG_4228 copy.jpg

IMG_4236 copy.jpg

IMG_4206 copy.jpg

IMG_4238 copy.jpg

IMG_4240 copy.jpg

IMG_4246 copy.jpg

IMG_4261 copy.jpg

IMG_4260 copy.jpg

IMG_4250 copy.jpg

IMG_4243 copy.jpg

IMG_4242 copy.jpg

This is the entrance to the zoo.
IMG_4274 copy.jpg

There were so many great displays, but this was my favorite one:

IMG_4195 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We were just talking about looking for something local to do this week - thanks for the heads up!

It was definitely a fun experience! Took about an hour to walk through at my pace while taking photos, but I honestly should've walked through a second time just to better soak everything in.

It's closed Monday through Wednesday this coming week, but it goes through the rest of December. Online tickets are 50% off for the rest of the year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow that is beautiful! What detail they put into it all!

It was incredible! In the last photo with the four dragons, they were made with what looked like little tiny jars filled with liquid. It was pretty cool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Absolutely AMAZING ....... Great job capturing the event jb ....I am very surprised there aren't more event's like that it is truly stunning..... Are the figures blow up like the santas on folks front yards or are the figures wired inside ? all the above? CRAZY

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Absolutely AMAZING ....... Great job capturing the event jb ....I am very surprised there aren't more event's like that it is truly stunning..... Are the figures blow up like the santas on folks front yards or are the figures wired inside ? all the above? CRAZY

I believe just about every lantern was put together with wires and cables, but there were so many different types of lanterns that I'm sure there was a variety of ways they were created. Here's some stats I found.

• 50 tons of steel
  • 40,000 feet of silk
  • 33,000 feet of LED light belts
  • 5,000 strings of LED fairy lights
  • 15,000 LED bulbs
  • 36,000 feet of cable and wire
  • approximately 300 pieces of lantern art

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How awesome JD, I would sure like to tour that. But way too far from me. I would have a hard time choosing a favorite, maybe the Koi pond or Pandas.
Barb

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How awesome JD, I would sure like to tour that. But way too far from me. I would have a hard time choosing a favorite, maybe the Koi pond or Pandas.
Barb

They aren't as far as you might think. They've currently got a display in South Carolina, too. They travel around. Eventually they might end up even closer to you.

Ask a Question