Starting a new pond

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
I was given a almost complete pond set up just missing a skimmer and wondering if I need to put a floor drain in.
Planning on a 3-4000 gallon modern style about 4' deep
Will my equipment support that size?

Equipment
Fluid technologies turbo vortex and model 24 hydrabead filter
2 3' pure waster uv sanitizers
Pond air dynamo pump and a pinnacle with some sort of a box on the bottom of it I am assuming is some sort of filtee.
I do not know the size of the pumps but I know one went to a 7' wide waterfall and the other a 3'wide
Also came with a vacuum lots of hoses, koi food and several boxes stuff I haven't gone through yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A bottom drain depends on your preferred pond type - you said "modern" but I'm not quite sure what that is. Typically you have a dedicated koi pond (just fish, no rocks or plants in the pond) or a garden or eco-style pond that has rocks, plants and fish. Most would say yes to the bottom drain for the DKP and not necessary for the garden pond.

I'm not an equipment expert, so I'll let someone else chime in on that one! What size and type pond was all of this equipment on previously? That would be a good starting point I think!

And welcome to the GPF!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a 5000 gallon + pond .I don't have a skimmer and no bottom drain .Bottom drains have to be done right or they can leak .You can also suck in baby fish or tadpoles .Why not build a filter

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
A bottom drain depends on your preferred pond type - you said "modern" but I'm not quite sure what that is. Typically you have a dedicated koi pond (just fish, no rocks or plants in the pond) or a garden or eco-style pond that has rocks, plants and fish. Most would say yes to the bottom drain for the DKP and not necessary for the garden pond.

I'm not an equipment expert, so I'll let someone else chime in on that one! What size and type pond was all of this equipment on previously? That would be a good starting point I think!

And welcome to the GPF!
Thank you, by modern I am thinking something like this but plan on adding a raised section with a curtain waterfall going to the lower section. Upper portion will have plants and lower fish.

Attachments

• f1f02ed1cb2e57141b21125e80a50bdb.jpg
    f1f02ed1cb2e57141b21125e80a50bdb.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 306

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
Thank you, by modern I am thinking something like this but plan on adding a raised section with a curtain waterfall going to the lower section. Upper portion will have plants and lower fish.
I believe the pond the set up came off of was 4000 gallons

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
Koi, goal when everything is established is 4 or 5 adult fish.

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
Don't know if it makes a difference but I am planning on butterfly koi which I have been told aren't really koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
a koi is a koi and they can get huge .Better off with fantails .Koi and goldfish have lots and lots of babies .Never ending babies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. I'm no pond expert, but good look on building your pond. I finished mine last month, and it's the best thing I've ever done for my garden. If you read through old threads here you will find a ton of great advice. I watched the pond digger, and read through old threads here, and so far so good. Again best of luck staring your pond, and post some pictures along the way, I never seem to get sick of looking at other peoples ponds.

whtwter

1st big pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
arizona
Country
United States
Running into design problems already. Doing a pond this size wasn't in the budget until I was given all the equipment. Had a layout in mind but I just had gas lines ran for the outdoor kitchen and fireplace. They go right along the edge of where I would like to put it and I don't want to bury them plus they are only 20" down.
A few pics of the filter set up.
IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0126.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With the equipment you have there both a skimmer and a main drain is advisable for an outdoors pond. In particular the main drains or suction drains as they call them today. the koi pond keepers look at nothing in the pond to hurt the koi ie no rocks stumps or anything to injure or retain dirt and or denitruss. That was a bit cold for my liking. by the way most codes today will call for two suction drains so no one gets stuck in the drain .

Ask a Question