starting of pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it to latenin the year to now start putting fish (probabley Shubumkin } into an above ground timber framed pond 6x4x3 its empty at moment

not sure if wrong time of year or should i wait till spring ??

thanks

Tony

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How long has the pond been running? IE has it cycled. The fish nibble on algae, plants during the winter. If it is empty of plants etc you might be better to wait until spring. Winter can be hard on fish esp in a new pond.

One winter I decided to pull my lilies from the big pond, put them in a smaller pond, so the fish had a nice clean pond for the winter. When I put them back in early that spring/late winter the fish attacked the lily pots stripping every bit of algae within minutes. They were starving. I never tried to clean the pond for them again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it to latenin the year to now start putting fish (probabley Shubumkin } into an above ground timber framed pond 6x4x3 its empty at moment

not sure if wrong time of year or should i wait till spring ??

thanks

Tony
Welcome to the forum. Your pond is about 540 gallons and since it is empty now, proper cycling will take you well into the Fall season. The question is why stress you and the fish? I would wait until the spring to introduce the fish. Other members might have better suggestions but I am just very cautious with my fish.
Stephen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. Your pond is about 540 gallons and since it is empty now, proper cycling will take you well into the Fall season. The question is why stress you and the fish? I would wait until the spring to introduce the fish. Other members might have better suggestions but I am just very cautious with my fish.
Stephen
thanks for your reply yes agree best to wait till later in spring

Ask a Question