Reclaiming the Pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
While I appreciate the show of respect, it's really not necessary to call me "ma'am," LOL! It tends to make us older ladies feel, well, OLD.

I'm not even 50 yet and they keep asking me if I get the senior citizen discount at Kroger. I say go ahead and call me ma'am as long as you give me my 5% off! LOL

Your pond looks so pretty, Yatyas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United States
Ok, so I was able to test the water yesterday afternoon, but it had been raining (and still is) for a few hours so I'm not sure if that had any impact on the samples. The water was collected from the moving water in the fall in hopes to get a better mixture because of the rain water being on the surface.
pH: 7.6
HR pH: Did not test, yet. Do I need to if the pH is < 7.6?
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I'll test again when the rain subsides, but the weather is supposed to be rainy throughout the weekend so it may not be until next week.

Great info about the koi, moby. Taking that into consideration, this pond was more than likely set up as a goldfish type pond in lieu of a koi. There isn't really a filtration system besides what is in the fall box (2" green mesh as the primary, followed by a laundry bag stuffed with cubed sponges). I guess that could all be changed though. And I do have an air pump and two stones that could aerate the water in addition to the fall. When the weather permits, I'll take pics of the filtration components for yall to see.

Thanks for the compliments and support!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United States
Ok thanks, that's what I figured but wasn't sure.

Just minnows, a few grass shrimp to hopefully eat the fuzz algae on the rocks, and hundreds of tadpoles, ha. The tree frogs were reading between 90 -100 decibels the other night - almost uncomfortable!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United States
Well the pond, has been reclaimed....been battling the flood since last weekend I believe.
Please send prayers to Baton Rouge, we need them.

Much Love
Pic on 8/22/2016. 1" drop since the pic was taken. Please keep the hard working, blue collar Louisianans in your prayers.

Attachments

• PondFlood.JPG
    PondFlood.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 193
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh my gosh! This makes me so sad! I hope you and yours are all ok. Prayers for everyone affected!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@YatYas So glad you checked in with us! I've been following the flooding as I have several friends who live in or near BR. The stories have just been awful, and it seems like most of the rescue & recovery work has been provided by the very citizens who have been affected! Yes, prayers for you and all down that way. And praying that this tropical storm 99-L doesn't develop as one model suggests. That would take it into the Gulf and straight through South LA! Keep us posted when you can!
----------------
I know it's the last thing on your mind right now, but once things calm down, contact Larkin Baggett at Deep South Koi via the contact info I gave earlier. He said he manages the DSK Face Book page and would be looking for you to contact them (I assume that their FB info would be listed on the web site or you could search FB for them). We here at GPF know him as @fishin4cars -- a wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful guy. He's also been caught up with the flooding, but I think has fared better than most.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well the pond, has been reclaimed....been battling the flood since last weekend I believe.

Much Love
Pic on 8/22/2016. 1" drop since the pic was taken. Please keep the hard working, blue collar Louisianans in your prayers.
oh my goodness!!!! Sending good thought your way. Hope water drop fast for you guys.

I dont know how much warning you get for this type of thing, but did you get to save your pump? the electric outlet probably wont be good anymore. So sorry.

All the fish probably escaped and gone but at least no big fish like Koi or goldfish that can get into natural water ways.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Nepen It has been a nightmare for the people in S. Louisiana! Several pond and koi owners tell stories that mirror @YatYas photo -- their ponds disappeared beneath the flood waters, their fish along with. And some of these were those really fancy, expensive, koi with 3+ names! A few people were able to get mesh up to cover their ponds so their fish didn't escape. But those are also the folks with the complicated, very high-end equipment, as well.......

And I don't mean to minimalize the flooding for the other 99% of the residents....it's just awful everywhere! Imagine the homes with the pond stories, then imagine those stories X thousands -- all the homes without ponds that suffered much worse. We have sent people (I'm in the Northern part of Louisiana, so not affected by the flooding) down south by the droves to help. We recently sent several semis down filled with animal relief aid (mostly for equine & livestock) to help out and take the pressure and worry off those owners. Many of our local and area barns are volunteering to house horses [I'm a horse & animal person, so that's what I tend to focus on]. A friend of mine whose neighborhood was flooded was lucky that her home was in a high area which saved her -- she and many others have taken in families who lost everything. A story being repeated over & over. They're saying it's worse than the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina in 2005(?) when she hit New Orleans!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):

Much Love
Hi YatYas, not sure where in LA you are but if you need plants or shubunkins to rebuild the pond, reach out when you're ready. Hoping this next Invest 99L misses us.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. Be safe.

Ask a Question