sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It also looks like your pond gets a lot of sun and will heat the water up fast since it is all above ground .Shade will help and get a thermometer also .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like an ulcer which is a bacterial infection. Are you able to get antibiotics (to treat in the water)?

I would treat this guy in a separate tank or container. But also keep an eye on the remaining fish. Maybe step up water changes to make sure water quality is good.

Yes, poor water quality will not help.
You should perform some water tests using a drip test kit and stop feeding or adding any additional medications for now.
You should also buy some activated carbon that can be added to the filter to help rid the pond water of medications if the sick fish is now removed from the pond.

Chemicals are rarely a solution for pond problems.
Mother nature has many solutions that are fish friendly.
Agree......

And on a side note, you said you purchased 6 fish and added them. I'm going to assume that you added them straight-away, and didn't quarantine them first. Most of us will quarantine any new fish for several weeks before adding them to the pond. That way, if the new fish have any diseases/parasites, the quarantine time will let you observe them and [hopefully] catch them before exposing your pond -- it's easier to treat a few fish in QT than it is to address the entire pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agree......

And on a side note, you said you purchased 6 fish and added them. I'm going to assume that you added them straight-away, and didn't quarantine them first. Most of us will quarantine any new fish for several weeks before adding them to the pond. That way, if the new fish have any diseases/parasites, the quarantine time will let you observe them and [hopefully] catch them before exposing your pond -- it's easier to treat a few fish in QT than it is to address the entire pond.

Hi there. My new fish sat in a separate tank for about 2 months because I was told about diseases. They were fine until I put the blanket weed stuff in and then the little tiger got which looked like a chemical burn. I've taken him back out the pond and quaritined him but just unsure on home long to keep him in there for. I've put him in with a slight dose of medifin so any help will be accepted.
Chris

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi there. My new fish sat in a separate tank for about 2 months because I was told about diseases. They were fine until I put the blanket weed stuff in and then the little tiger got which looked like a chemical burn. I've taken him back out the pond and quaritined him but just unsure on home long to keep him in there for. I've put him in with a slight dose of medifin so any help will be accepted.
Chris
Hope he does OK. Right now, just be sure the water you have him in stays pristine [water changes, where they don't interfere with treatments, that is].

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope he does OK. Right now, just be sure the water you have him in stays pristine [water changes, where they don't interfere with treatments, that is].

Thank you Mmathis. I didn't think I'd get so much attached to the fish but I love them to bits. Just hope he/she is ok. Thank you once again and I'll keep you posted

Chris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It also looks like your pond gets a lot of sun and will heat the water up fast since it is all above ground .Shade will help and get a thermometer also .

Hi Sissy,
I have made / got a wodden cover for the pond so like you say it may be wise to cover it up when the sun is due to come out. ive checked the little guy this morning and he seems to be in good health apart from the red blotch on his tail. just worried that keeping him isolated will scare him more and him not get better. it may be a burn or a ulcer but if its a ulcer I don't want the other fish to get infected as well but if its a burn I don't want to make him unhappy by keeping him in there. I know that sounds soppy
chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't want to make him unhappy by keeping him in there

Not soppy at all - very sweet. My husband is constantly saying "I think our fish are happy in our pond. Don't you think they're happy in our pond?" and I reply "well, if they aren't I don't guess there's much they can do about it!".

Good luck with your fish - you've gotten good advice here already so I won't repeat what's already been said.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hahahaha, I know what you mean. mine seem to get really excited and wiz around after ive cleaned the pond pump out. I think its their way of showing their affection lol.. anyway thank you for your help.
chris

Reaction score
Country
United States
The sore on the side of your fish is definitely not a burn. It really needs treatment or it will slowly get worse. Then it might be too late for the little guy.

If you decide to treat in a separate container it is very important to use an air pump for water circulation and to keep water ammonia free by doing water changes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I woke this morning to find the little guy had passed away. I'm a little gutted but at least he didn't die still in the pet shop. Thank you for all your help and advice. I was maybe a little too late.

Chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The sore on the side of your fish is definitely not a burn. It really needs treatment or it will slowly get worse. Then it might be too late for the little guy.

The fish had already been placed in a hospital tank and was being treated with medifin. :

... I've taken him back out the pond and quaritined him but just unsure on home long to keep him in there for. I've put him in with a slight dose of medifin so any help will be accepted.
Chris

Unfortunately I woke this morning to find the little guy had passed away. I'm a little gutted but at least he didn't die still in the pet shop. Thank you for all your help and advice. I was maybe a little too late.

Chris

Sorry about your fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you, I know I shouldn't but I do get attached to the little guys. going to thoroughly check the others when I finish work to make sure the are ok

chris

Ask a Question