DC powered pumps?

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by dustboy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. dustboy

dustboy Nattering Nabob

I'm thinking about running my pond project off solar, I have a 190W panel, charge controller and 2x6V golf cart batteries leftover from another project. I can't seem to find a suitable pump (>1000 GPH) that runs on DC. Anyone find a good source?

I could run a conventional pump on an AC inverter, but that's adding at least a 20% loss in efficiency.

dustboy, Jul 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. dustboy

sissy sissy

sissy, Jul 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. dustboy

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@dustboy I’m confused because you apparently haven’t come up yet with a plan for your pond project, so how do you know what kind of specs you’re going to require, how much power, etc? Your pond is 25’x25’x18”. Have you calculated the size pump you’re going to need to get an adequate water turnover rate for this size pond? And since this is not going to be a lined pond, keep in mind that you’ll need a pump that can handle the debris from all the soil, sand, etc. Basically, it sounds like you are going to be pumping dirty water into a bog......so I’m still confused.....as to how a bog is going to be helpful in this situation.... Just curious.....

Mmathis, Jul 11, 2018
  4. dustboy

sissy sissy

sissy, Jul 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question