Red Platy

Reaction score
Long story short, I can not wait on anything, really, I'm excitable, similar to a puppy, but sometimes worse.

When I built my pond there were no 'pond' fish on my small island, yes, the pet store runs out. So I bought four of these Red Platies. Well guess what ..... I have dozens now and of those dozens half are pregnant! I wish I could open up the pond for birds to come around and get some of them, but I can't because I also have expensive (to me) koi in there.

So far the filters are holding up to the load. I plan to catch some a give them away.

I'm just wondering if there are any other reasons I shouldn't have them in the pond. I read they are prone to disease. So far I haven't had a problem with them in my aquarium, I feel like they are pretty hardy. I'm anal about keeping my pond levels perfect, as you some of you know based on my frantic posts over what turns out to be nothing.

Thoughts? Bad move putting these guys in there? They do look nice darting all around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you like them then leave them (I assume they can overwinter where you live?)

Just remove and re-home when the numbers get to be too much for your pond.
Yes sound advice Maria, you also could try advertising on line or even selling them back to the fish shop however if your giving them away priscilla please do a back ground check on them first to see if they know how to look after them .:cool:

Dave(y)

Reaction score
s
but the pladys will be good for your pond and will not outgrow pond like koi. I am surprised the koi have not eatten them all yet. Maybe they hide in plants.

Right now my biggest koi is about 8 inches (max), the platys are about an inch. I suppose the koi and goldfish and tilapia may eat a few of the fry, but because I was so rushed (as you are with small kids), when I filled my pond the liner has lots of creases, so I noticed in the worst corner is where all the fry are. Even though I have lots of floating plants, they seem to like to hang out in the creases, there's no way anything can get them in there. So I suppose my mistake as actually worked in my favor as a fry nursery.

Are you thinking the koi will eat the one inch 'adult' platys?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh Lordy hahha. I have those horny little fish in my aquarium as well. Hehe. I was just looking for big daddy so I could flush his butt. So sweet your koi is Max. My Congo African grey is Max. ;) very fond of that name.
I would think the koi would eat the adults as well but my koi are pretty big. Bok ( Big Orange Koi) is a good 15" long and Wok ( White Old Koi) is pretty close as well. They go down from there.
I do agree though, let nature be the judge. ;)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think the koi will eat anything that will fit into there mouth, but maybe yours are very well fed. The pladys babies must have good hiding spots in the liner folds. Sounds like they would look good all the colorful red pladys swimming with the big koi!

Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting. I think right now the Koi are too small to eat the adult platy (maybe). Hoping it will be like a cat living with a dog situation - get on fine once they grow up together ...... fingers crossed anyways.

Reaction score
Oh Lordy hahha. I have those horny little fish in my aquarium as well. Hehe. I was just looking for big daddy so I could flush his butt. So sweet your koi is Max. My Congo African grey is Max. ;) very fond of that name.
I would think the koi would eat the adults as well but my koi are pretty big. Bok ( Big Orange Koi) is a good 15" long and Wok ( White Old Koi) is pretty close as well. They go down from there.
I do agree though, let nature be the judge. ;)

What do you feed your fry? I scooped three out and put them in an empty tank I had running. I have a water hyacinth and some water lettuce in the tank. Will they eat the roots? Or should I buy them special food? The flakes?

Thanks.

Ask a Question