Reinventing my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
String is usualy predominant in the faster currents thus the stream and fall in the bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no string in my pond the koi grave on the rocks all day if it starts to grow they mow it down . I do get some up in the stream but not alot. Mainly because I am almost starting over this year as a removed the main bog and made it taller and deeper.
String is a bi product of too many nutrients in the water. Over feeding or too many fish.. a third possibility is not removing leaves and of debris from the bottom of the pond. Or poor filtering .

Most commonly is a new pond and it just hasn't balanced out yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@combatwombat has no fish so his bio load is almost non existent. I'd be willing to bet even after 3 months or so running now he has had little to no string algea

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like said above just pulling it out . And in time it should become less and less don't squeeze it out though . Doing so releases the spores into the water.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Another busy few months and found a bit of time to get the pond/bog to the point that the rains could fill it before they stop for the summer. Still lots of landscaping to do but at least its holding water.
Pond view May 2nd 2023.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looks good, that is a big bog, should do a great job keeping your pond looking good all summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take my word for it your a pro if it's holding water all too many hunt down leaks myself included i had a big tear get by me.
So if your on to landscaping congrads.
That bog looks close to 40 to 50 percent of the ponds surface . Hip hip huray for over sizing filters. I agree fully how many gph are you pushing through the bog

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well its been another month and more excavator and hand work. Bog is starting to grow and the pond water is crystal clear even with the hot dry weather we are having. One thing that has surprised me due to lack of research is how much water evaporates! What I read online is that it is probably loosing 40ish gallons a day????
Its pumping 6,000gph through the bog and has about a 4 foot wide spillway back into the pond but only a height difference of about 8 inches. I had installed a 2,000 gallon storage tank for rain water to accommodate evap but with no rain in over 2 months that tank is empty and the pond is going down about 1/2" a day. I added some black die to hide the bottom and maybe slow evap?
Pond June 4th 2023.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wind is the biggest enemy of evaporation next to having a leak. My 3000 gallon cistern will last just shy of a month. And I'm pushing 12000

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I get lots of wind, dry summers, and pond in full sun. My 2500 gallon reservoir will last about 3 weeks to a month. Definitely underestimated water loss.

Ask a Question