A couple questions about installing pond liner with a bridge...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some pictures of my pond because it is not your typical. This used to be a pond a while ago and it no longer holds water because of the many cracks in the concrete walls/bottom. I am starting to clean up the area around it and working on cleaning the the pond itself too. The next step would be the liner and this is where my problem arises. As you can see in the pictures there is a bridge going over the pond.

My question is, how do I go about installing a pond liner in this situation? I was planning having the liner lay over the top edge of the pond and then put a layer of bricks on top all the way around. But how do i go about under the bridge?

I also planned on putting a layer of sand on the bottom as well. Will be putting fish in here.

Any advice/help is welcomed! Thanks in advance

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hate to say this to you but because of the rounded support that makes the project very difficult. unless you plan to keep the water level to be 2 feet down from the top. Now there is an advantage to this in that if the water is down 2 feet from the top of grade then blue heron and white egrets don't stand a chance in grabbing a free meal. but not many want to look down into a hole just to avoid birds but it works

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate to say this to you but because of the rounded support that makes the project very difficult. unless you plan to keep the water level to be 2 feet down from the top. Now there is an advantage to this in that if the water is down 2 feet from the top of grade then blue heron and white egrets don't stand a chance in grabbing a free meal. but not many want to look down into a hole just to avoid birds but it works
What if I cut the liner around the rounded support and then use some sort of binder/glue to secure?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NOT an easy seal in any way shape or form. If you used an epoxy or even a rubber bonding caulking and then applied a termination strip/ a metal/ stanless steel band where use screw into the concrete to help insure it didn't peal away . My choice would be to remove the bridge and make a nice wood bridge.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat rock work! The only other thing that might work would be to have it sealed, no expert here at all, by somebody that would coat the concrete and rock walls with a sealant. Sort of like a rubber truck liner that they spray in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They do make custom drop in liners, but pricey. Love your stone work !
Thank you! It is not my stone work though. Drop in is not a route I am looking at. Pretty set on the liner, just gotta make it work somehow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Neat rock work! The only other thing that might work would be to have it sealed, no expert here at all, by somebody that would coat the concrete and rock walls with a sealant. Sort of like a rubber truck liner that they spray in.
Any sealants that you know of?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if your dead Set on the bridge another option would be to temp support the bridge preferably one side at a time cut the round down angle I don't know the correct name but they are more then likely structural. slip the rubber in then build piers down to the concrete deck. but to insure it all works is id advise a footing and not trust the old concrete once thats stable you can pinch the rubber between two layers of fabric.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can you tell if the bridge is locked into the concrete sides or just sitting on the sides .I have seen bridges like that jacked up in Johnson park in NJ .Where it was connected they used a construction saw to cut it and then built a whole support under the bridge out of wood and used several jacks and people to slowly lift it up until they could fix the supporting columns under it as they were sinking .It was near where we used to go feed the animals and it was an interesting project .My oldest son was 8 at the time and that was back in the early 80's and it is still standing strong .I am sure they used an engineer to figure it all out and was probably not cheap

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my dads basement they used hydraulic cement to fix several cracks in the basement wall and then sealed everything so it would not leak .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
First I have to say, as a lover of stonework, that this is a stunning pond and bridge...Some one spent hours and hours creating that and you can see the love that they put into it. My back hurts just thinking of it....

Why won't you entertain having it pointed and sealed? Can't someone who forms pools do that? I have seen a lot of ponds made out of old swimming pools but yours is not ordinary...It's EXTRAORDINARY...That's just my two cents:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
First I have to say, as a lover of stonework, that this is a stunning pond and bridge...Some one spent hours and hours creating that and you can see the love that they put into it. My back hurts just thinking of it....

Why won't you entertain having it pointed and sealed? Can't someone who forms pools do that? I have seen a lot of ponds made out of old swimming pools but yours is not ordinary...It's EXTRAORDINARY...That's just my two cents:)
I am also a lover of stonework. We live on a couple acre property and the previous owner had built manyyyyy different things all over the property. You can kind of see in the background of the first picture a stone "booth". Thats just one thing for example.

I am trying to keep my budget as low as possible. Not quite sure hiring someone to do anything will be feasible. If it is cheap than theres a chance.

Ask a Question