REMOVING HUGE PAPYRUS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, have a 3’ wide papyrus that has grown out of the original planting pot and needs to be removed. It is growing in a 1 ft. high clump of mud in the pond, and discoloring the water. The whole thing needs to be removed and re-potted. Have sawed and used shovel to cut sections out of the mud clump, removing small sections at a time. The problem is how to remove the remaining roots from the flexible liner without cutting or piercing the liner. Ideas???

Attachments

• 864A14BF-2266-4E48-AE30-0243B4EB32E9.jpeg
    864A14BF-2266-4E48-AE30-0243B4EB32E9.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 112
Reaction score
Country
United States
If the roots are tightly attached to a flexible liner, they may have already punctured it. If that is so, I would not remove any tightly attached roots since they might be the only thing sealing a leak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If the roots are tightly attached to a flexible liner, they may have already punctured it. If that is so, I would not remove any tightly attached roots since they might be the only thing sealing a leak.
Darn; was hoping someone might suggest a flame thrower...sigh. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can only speak for a year or two old plant . I placed a papyrus on an aquablock so it was supported by the roots were allowed to grow in the open water. There was no roots that i had that could puncture the liner but it was a very dense mat like a brillow pad so while it will be rather tight if you have wrinkles it could be a challenge to get it out of the pond. there's a photo of it in my build blog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Find a place where you can use a plank or sturdy ladder under it to lever it above the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK-- good point....would you cut it down as far as possible and
Hi, have a 3’ wide papyrus that has grown out of the original planting pot and needs to be removed. It is growing in a 1 ft. high clump of mud in the pond, and discoloring the water. The whole thing needs to be removed and re-potted. Have sawed and used shovel to cut sections out of the mud clump, removing small sections at a time. The problem is how to remove the remaining roots from the flexible liner without cutting or piercing the liner. Ideas???
cover it with something to block out any light or nutrients? Would that kill it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would you suggest covering the roots with rock and roll or another large piece of liner to prevent light and nutrients from getting to them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can only speak for a year or two old plant . I placed a papyrus on an aquablock so it was supported by the roots were allowed to grow in the open water. There was no roots that i had that could puncture the liner but it was a very dense mat like a brillow pad so while it will be rather tight if you have wrinkles it could be a challenge to get it out of the pond. there's a photo of it in my build blog
So the question is just how to remove the huge mass of mud and roots that are stuck to the bottom of the pond (liner) without tearing the liner..... ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tie a rope with a slip knot around the base of tge plant wrap the rope around the mass a few times and a second slip knot. Tie other end to a tractor and tug Gently at first go back and wiggle the roots if not using a garden hose to separate the dirt from the roots tug a little more with the tractor or car/truck keep going at it back and forth

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK-- good point....would you cut it down as far as possible and
cover it with something to block out any light or nutrients? Would that kill it?
I would cut the plant down as far as possible.
If you covered completely with something opaque, that would slow or stop its growth... at least where it was covered.
However it might still find ways to grow through or around some whatever you put there.

If you did actually kill the cat-tails they would begin to decay and eventually would be easier to detach. However, if there was a leak it might become worse if the the plant disappeared. An alternative would be to keep the plant but have a hard pruning back in Fall or Winter be part of your annual pond maintenance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would cut the plant down as far as possible.
If you covered completely with something opaque, that would slow or stop its growth... at least where it was covered.
However it might still find ways to grow through or around some whatever you put there.

If you did actually kill the cat-tails they would begin to decay and eventually would be easier to detach. However, if there was a leak it might become worse if the the plant disappeared. An alternative would be to keep the plant but have a hard pruning back in Fall or Winter be part of your annual pond maintenance.
[/QUOTE
MOST plants when you can them down they do one of two things . die all together like a pine tree or like most they work on sending the energy from the roots to the roots making for more. if your trying to remove the plant the last i would want would be to have it make more roots. maybe youll get lucky and get a deep freeze and that will kill the plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think your best bet is to keep chipping away, slowly and carefully. I had a clump of blue rush that was getting out of hand and I spent the better part of a day in the pond (this was July or August) with a pruner and a hand trowel, cutting and pulling and chopping. Like you I was very afraid of damaging the liner, but slow and steady work allowed me to see where the liner actually was and work without damaging it. It took me hours of slow tedious pullng and yanking and cutting but eventually I got it all out. I really doubt it's pierced the liner - these types of plants just tend to find the path of least resistance. Mine had gone over the liner into the surrounding landscape, but it made no attempt to go through the liner.

The next spring I discovered it had re-seeded itself across the pond. Haha.

Here's my other tip - we had some pond work done last season and had a few low edges addressed by the pros. Those hardy young men could yank those pond plants out with a few good pulls. Get yourself one of those and save yourself a boatload of time! Just make sure they are experienced with working in a liner pond.

The moral of the story is: keep your pond plants in check at all times. Never ever turn your back on them. They will defeat you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those hardy young men could yank those pond plants out with a few good pulls. Get yourself one of those
ARE YOU ACTUALY TALKING COMMUN SENCE you can't do that ....

Ask a Question