Restoring filled in pond and waterfall in new house

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi All
Looking for some advise on how to restore an old filled in pond and waterfall.
We moved into the new house about 6 weeks ago and found this filled in pond in the back garden - suspect to be about 15yrs old.
Pics below show how it was initially with gravel and soil over the bed as well as numerous plants.
Digging down I found a layer of medium gravel under the soil , under this was then a grey/brown clay layer and then smaller "pea" gravel.
Under this is where I found a lot of bricks and blocks and other hardcore material possibly from when pond was first built .

The pond liner looks to be intact as still holding water , but is very discolored with a lot of brown/red buildup on it which is not fully coming off even after power washer and a decking brush.

We also found the original pump (hozelock cascade 5500) which is still working , wiring to house switches just cut.
We also found the blue lights under the small bridge which 1x still works , armour cables for outdoor lighting also cut from house supply/switch.
This was used to pump the water fall/feature which runs from the top , near the tree down into the pond.

My thoughts were to take everything out and put back in just the pea gravel and have water to come up to 6 inches above the gravel.

Would anyone recommend putting the hardcore/bricks back in to bring up the level ?

Also any idea how to clean this pond liner to bring back to black , appears to be rubber type material

Any advice is welcome as a complete novice in regard to ponds

Many Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 164

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1587397114442.gif
@pob14ie
Boy they sure had a lot of junk in that pond! I would take it all out and not even put back any gravel if it was me. Don't worry about getting all the stains off the liner as it will get a nice cover of short carpet algae sticking on it eventually and you want that as it is good for the pond and any fish you put in there. It hides the liner and all the stains quite nicely too.
I just went out and took these photo's of the carpet type algae all over the sides and bottom of my pond. Never scrub this off, it is great stuff!

IMG_9389.JPG

IMG_9391.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
first thing is to see if the liner leaks ,after all that stuff growing in there it may be ruined beyond repair .Replacing it may be your only option

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

That is a nice looking pond. Don't worry about the stains on the rubber. Clean out the junk, fill it with water see how full it stays.

Ask a Question