Rocks in the waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok I will start with a few fish and take it slow. I appreciate all your advice. I have to remember the golden rule. Patience!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck with your pond. HTH's explanation was some of the best advice I have seen on how to cycle a pond. The biggest mistake beginners make is putting in a lot of fish in the beginning and then after a few weeks trying to figure out what to do when ammonia and nitrites are off the charts. Plants are a good thing to add also. They will compete with algae for nutrients and also will utilize the nitrates that are converted from nitrites. if you are planning on adding plant eating fish (koi) you will have to find a way to separate your plants.

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has answered properly the question about transferring water from the cycled pond to the new pond. I don't think trasnferring water will help the pond cycle. The bacteria live on surfaces such as the pond liner and filter material. Not actually in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
diesel, you are right. I put in a new liner in the middle of the summer 2 years ago. I kept a lot of the water from the 1st pond where I put my fish in and ran an airfilter in it keep water moving. I later put the water back into the new pond. Unfortunately I didn't know to keep the water moving in my biofilter and left it off for a day. I wanted to put some of my old liner in the new pond to keep some of the old bacteria but the back was so muddy I decided against it. I had to start cycling from scratch and using the old water that was cycled didn't help at all. Not the best time to do it in the middle of a hot summer and I went through some rough patches until it was cycled again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
When I was preparing to build my new pond, I built my filters first, then ran one of them on the old pond for a few weeks. Nothing looks so out of place as a 55-gallon filter sitting next to a 150 gallon pond! :biggrin: However that did what I needed, building up bacteria from a live source in the new filter media. As I tore down the old pond, all of my water plants also got moved into the new pond, providing even more colonies. The only noticeable cycling that my new pond experienced was a pea-green algae bloom in the first couple months, but otherwise all my fish were moved directly into the new pond without casualty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok I offically have the pea green soup going on. That didnt take long. Pond has only been filled for 2 1/2 weeks.
Pond is in full sun all day and so I expected it. I just hope it doesn't last the rest of the season!

Have added a few fish. And some WH 2 lily plants which are doing well. Waiting to add a little media from the stock tank and hope things work them selves out.

The green waters a bummer! :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The green water means there is a lot going on, though, so be patient. It may take a month, but it will be gone before the season is over with. In the meantime, keep testing your water, add things slowly, and enjoy it, even if you can't see the fish. My ponds are in their 2nd and 3rd years, and first year I've had crystal clear water in both all year, never went murky (koi pond last year) or green (koi pond first year). Difference in the goldfish pond is that when I built it year after koi pond, I used a bunch of water and media from koi pond to help get it cycling and when it was ready for fish, there never was an issue with algae ... EVER! I had plants that needed to be divided, so added lilies right off the bat to it, too. Never had any luck with WH or WL, always envy people who can grow it! Yes, patience is the word of the day, and you will need lots of it. Just smile and know that fish don't mind pea green water, humans do. It will all come together in time. :blueflower:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I know, patience is the key. Looks like I have a lot of string algae as well. Still can see the fish some. You are right doesn't seem to bother them a bit. :)

Country lucky you did not have to deal with green water. When I filled up my little stock tank this spring it went a little green for about a week and a half then clear. I have a feeling this one will take longer.

I still have a lot of rock work to finish. Still need to hide the liner better on the edges. Have not done any planting yet. Weekends are too short. I have too much to do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, I had green water for a month with my first pond, the koi pond. But, once you have the conditioned water, that really helps to get the new pond cycled. Good luck with your other stuff. By the time you get things the way you want them and are ready to show off your pond, the water will be clearing up. And, where are the pics? We always like to see pics of builds as they are being done, watch others do the hard work. LOL And, when you take pics of the green water, later you can compare with the clearer ... then clearer ... then CLEAR water!
If you have any water plants you would like, I have tons and would send you some just for the shipping cost. I have lilies, varigated cattails, and gobs of bog plants (lizard's tail, water closer and water parsley - but these last 2 are really fast growers, and somewhat invasive; penny wart). Let me know if you'd like any or all of the above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch Country. I would really appreciate some more plants. I think I'm really going to have to use lilies to help shade my pond. And the more plants I have in the pond the better to help get my water clearer. So if you have some to share it is much appreciated! Let me know how to contact you with amount and address etc. :cheerful:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Send me a private message on here. At the top right of every page, click on the envelope. Then type in my name "CountryEscape" and send me a message with what you would like and your address. I can get them together this weekend and send out a "care package" on Monday. :blueflower:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here are the pond plants I got ready for you this weekend. Will mail them this morning. Almost forgot about the "land" plants, so will dig them now and then head to work after get them all bagged up! Will PM you the tracking number tonight or tomorrow.
Lily - there is another lily in another bucket, but under the other stuff. LOL
Lily.JPG
Parrots feather, ludwigia (and other lily underneath)
Parrots feather and ludwigia and lily underneath.JPG
Water clover, water parsley, cattails, lizard's tail, penny wart
Water clover, water parsley, ....JPG

Ask a Question