Waterfall rocks turning Green

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello!
I have a question about the rocks in my waterfall turning green (algae growth). See pictures.
Is this normal? If so, I am OK with it. It makes it look a little more natural. If not, I would like to know how to correct it.

My pond has been up and running since around May 18th.
The header pond has some water celery in it. It is growing, just not at a super fast rate. The celery has been in the header pond for about 2-3 weeks
The main pond and header pond have what I would call normal algae growth in them. The skippy filter has some of the same.
The water in the header and main pond is crystal clear.
The pond is estimated to be around 4000 gallons. I am pumping around 2500GPH.
I have 10 Koi ranging from 3-6" in length. I do not feed them per say. Just a fish snack every so often. Maybe the palm of my hand covered every other day or so. The fish seem very active and stress free.
I know that the salt level is on the low side. I am afraid of adding any salt. The plants and fish seem to be doing very well.
Maybe to many or not enough details.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
icewaterdon
Pictures are of the before and after the green. One is an overview of the pond and one is an area 4' deep to show water clarity.

Attachments

• waterfall rocks.jpg
    waterfall rocks.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,418
  • waterfall rocks 1.jpg
    waterfall rocks 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,542
  • waterfall rocks 3.jpg
    waterfall rocks 3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,952
  • Picture 200.jpg
    Picture 200.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,071

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
normal and if you don't care for it you can turn your pump off and spray a little peroxide on them and wait a few minutes and turn the pump back on and it will slowly wash away .But some of it helps keep your water clean .I have it but it is the good kind of muck

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's normal for and beneficial. Algae competes for nutrients which means it's also removing nitrates from the water. It's a good food source for koi and as long as it's algae growing on rocks it is perfectly fine. Long stringy algae will happen. It's almost a given. If it gets to long and unsightly get clean toilet brush and just pass it over the algae and remove what it catches. Or simply turn a rock over and put the green side down for a few weeks. The more sunlight the more it will grow, If you can put more plants in then they will help slow the algae growth down. More plants give more hiding spots for the fish to protect them from birds, also more plants help keep the water cooler as they provide shade. The pond looks good, Keep in mind when feeding, you want to feed and absolutly no food left on the surface of the pond after five minutes. this is very important. ANY left over food can cause problems. I prefer to use the two minute mark, all the food should be gob=ne in two minutes when I feed, but I feed several times a day just a lot smaller feedings. Also as for salt, You can get a solids meter for about $22 that would measure you salt on ebay. It's not a bad idea to have one. 1% salt is fine for both plants and fish. always use Non-iodized salt with Ice cream salt being one of the cheapest and easiest to get salts you can use. You fish can easily handle up to 3% salt. that being, That much salt is not good for plants and should only be made that high when treating certain parasite infections. 1% is a good amount for just maintaining if you want to keep some salt in the water. I try to maintain my pond between .05% and 1% most of the time.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for salting a pond, fishin' meant .1%, (point one percent) not 1%...i usually went about .15% (point one five percent) or 1&1/4 cup of salt per 100 gals is a safe measure (mortons solar salt for water softeners) in the blue bag at lowes etc. $4.50 for a 50 lb bag. I dont think i'm gonna salt this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for all the VERY QUICK replies.

So, How does a person go about adding salt?
Should I put it in a something to allow is to slowly desolve?
Should I put it in the header pond before the falls etc.?
Toss it in the main pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never throw it in your pond pull some pond water from your pond to a bucket and mix it together or put it in your filter in a bag and that will depend on what kind of filter .I know some just sprinkle it in there waterfall and let that do the work of mixing it .I guess it depends on what kind of set up and how big the pond is and how much you have to add .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have always just tossed it directly into my ponds...just like i was throwing rock salt on an icy drive or walkway.... just avoiding the plants and their pots. exactly what good dissolving it first would do, i have no idea!! do about 1/2 the salt wait a day do the rest.

Ask a Question