algae on the waterfall rocks

Reaction score
does everybody have a coating of dark green algae on their waterfall rocks? I've treated the pond X 3 with Pond Balance and have no string algae. I have a 57 watt UV light so the water is very clear. Sides and bottom of the pond are greenish, but that's fine.

But the waterfall rocks are totally covered with dark green algae. Did do that before so I'm puzzled.
:confused:

Reaction score
yes, I have the same thing. It naturally develops in persistently wet areas and is a good sign that things are in good shape. Just leave it alone and accept what nature has intended. It's all good.

Reaction score
Just checking. I don't mind it at all, just wanted to know if I needed to retreat with balance. i haven't stopped the water to see if it's string or not. but since it sounds like a natural phenomenon, I won't concern myself with it.

Reaction score
I checked and some of it is definitely string algae. So I treated the pond again with Balance. Can't hurt.

BTW, the two little shy Koi I was worried about have started coming out and getting food. We named the yellow one Streak because of the way it swims. The black and yellow one doesn't have a name yet.

Ask a Question