Rusty steel tank as a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe. But why quote my post? It seemed he was replying to what I wrote and that doesn't make sense to me. Confused, as usual.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Because i was going to say something else but deleted it but in short the tank is a decent gaugeand yes i would bury it leaving about 8" out of the ground and then cut out the baffles, would i leave razor sharp edge no would i be convened about the fish scraping them selves no

L

Lin

I recently bought an old 1000 gallon water tank, cut the top 1/4 off, and made it into a pond.

I now have an issue with high PH, I am imagining because of the rust.

My question is, will this go away as biological matter grows on the sides, or do I need to line the inside.

If I have to line it know that there are baffles on the inside so laying a plastic liner inside won't work well, I will need to seal it with some kind of paint. Any ideas or recommendations for something less expensive than the two-part paints I am seeing?

Thanks,
Phil
Hello and welcome. It does look very "rustic" ,excuse the pun. I mean it in a good way, nice eye appeal.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There are two forms of iron, free iron or non-chelated iron and chelated iron. Free iron is highly toxic but as soon as it comes into contact with air it is converted to chelated iron aka rust. I have a lot of free iron in my source well so I just make sure it is aerated by using a spray nozzle or sprinkler to add water. From all of my research I could not find any value of chelated iron dissolvable in water that is toxic to fish. I guess my only concern would be any flakes of rust that could come loose possibly getting stuck in the fishes mouth causing injury. As long as you don’t have any pieces flaking off I don’t think you’ll have an issue. That said, coating the inside surface with something isn’t a bad idea.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Poconojoe,
Thank you:)
I have to keep the baffles or the sides will bow out from the weight of the water. So any liner in this tank just wont work, I will have to paint a pond liner on $$$:(

Thanks again everyone!
Try the spray sealant, also roll on sealant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought about burying it, but the whole idea of the tank being what it then goes into the ground. All the beauty is lost.
I understand about the rust and the fish hurting themselves on sharp edges, I got that loud and clear, but it is mute if I am covering the rust with a liner or paint as suggested.

Ask a Question