Salt and Trapdoor Snails

Reaction score
Here's one I have not seen addressed before. I have not used salt on a pond before. I have a big population of trapdoor snails. Had them in the ponds practically from the begining. If I had to salt for something, anyone ever had experience or knowledge of how they would do? I always try to stay prepared for stuff and this crossed my mind.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could send a message to tricker.com. They sell the trap doors and reply to messages.

per the net

7) Are there drawbacks to using salt?
-It will harm many plants commonly used in water gardens.
-It's inadvisable to use salt in combination with Formalin. Formalin mixed water containing more than .1% salt can be harmful to koi and goldfish.
-In pond situations be aware that salt may kill algae, causing a drop in dissolved oxygen from decay of the algae. Be sure circulation is adequate.
-Trapdoor snails cannot tolerate salt.

per a different site they can handle some salt

itle: Re: Trapdoor Snails - Can they take some salt?
Post by: koi keeper on June 20, 2009, 08:11:39 AM They can tolerate salt levels of .03% easily, thats all the salt you'll ever need.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I hate to use one as a tester, but I might have to setup a small test with the .03% just to see. I would never be able to get them all out in a real trouble situation. But if I knew some would make it at .03% then I could feel a little better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have trapdoor snails and have salted the pond. THey are fine and have reproduced over the two years we have added. I think it would depend on how high you salt.

Reaction score
mouseams said:
I have trapdoor snails and have salted the pond. THey are fine and have reproduced over the two years we have added. I think it would depend on how high you salt.

What size pond do you have and what is your salt level?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I had some fish flashing before the temps kickked in so I brought the salt up to .01 as far as size, we are unable to accurately calculate the amount of water, my best estimate is somewhere around 2500 gallons. The pond liner foes over two underground rocks, so there are areas where the pond is 3' deep, 2' deep and 0' where the rocks are. Whenever I use measurements I base it on this calculation and the parameters end up working out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've added salt to my pond, it's very hard to get the ppm close to what I want. 4/5 parts per million kills a parasite that is carried by the Bullfrog that kills local frogs,fish and turtles. Over that amount kills everything.

Ask a Question