Salt in pond water?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Just wondering if the .1 or .15 mix is enough to do anything to the parasites? Any lab tests done? Could this just be another theory that sounds correct and people are told that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Wayne, I'm more familiar with the marine side of it right now, but the principle is the same. There are a lot of studies done.
It's probably not appropriate to post a marine study here. Maybe someone else can post a freshwater study.
If one of my marine fish is infected with an external parasite, a brief fresh water dip will cause the adult parasite to release from the fish. After that, the fish can be treated in hyposalinity (diluted seawater) for a period of 3 - 4 weeks while the immature stages of the parasite die off as they are unable to survive in the hyposalinity environment.
Regular sea water is 35 parts per thousand salt concentration (3.5%), the hyposalinity treatment is about 14 parts per thousand (1.4%).

This is of course all generally speaking and it is always best to identify exactly what parasite you are dealing with before beginning any treatment.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just wondering if the .1 or .15 mix is enough to do anything to the parasites? Any lab tests done? Could this just be another theory that sounds correct and people are told that?
Probably are lab data available somewhere. I haven't came across it yet.

Emergency & Health Issues - Talks of various parasites and salt dosages. Written by a certified AKCA health advisor who also goes around fixing peoples fish so I think he has a good idea when something works or not.

Don't think i've heard of .1% salinity killing anything in freshwater fish. I know .15% is often mentioned in reference to blocking Nitrite poisoning. Salinity must be from .3~.6% salinity if ya want any affect on parasites.

My opnion and concern of keeping water at a constant salinity is that it will improve the immune system of various bacteria and parasites, making it tougher to kill them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Basically salt should be kept out of the pond and in the QT unit only they arent marine fish as many seem to believe if they were they would live i the ocean thats the bottom line on it yes you have official dose rates from the AKCA for treatment but salt in a pond can stop other treatments from being used espeially if you have a PH of 8

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Probably are lab data available somewhere. I haven't came across it yet.

I know .15% is often mentioned in reference to blocking Nitrite poisoning.
That is the recommended dosage....

Salinity must be from .3~.6% salinity if ya want any affect on parasites.My opnion and concern of keeping water at a constant salinity is that it will improve the immune system of various bacteria and parasites, making it tougher to kill them.

Where those numbers originated...(History bears you out).... back in 2000 when I began managing a large retail koi & water gardening operation, it was common practice for dealers to run their sales tanks at a constant .3% salt (I believe this was done in Japan too, but not certain.) Over time the parasites became resistant :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Now when there is a salt treatable problem the usual recommendation is to go to .6% salt. I know dealers who treat all their incoming fish at .7% salt aspart of of an overall health protocol. Ever heard of the Colorado potato beetle? :banghead3: Google control efforts

Regards, Eric

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Now when there is a salt treatable problem the usual recommendation is to go to .6% salt. I know dealers who treat all their incoming fish at .7% salt aspart of of an overall health protocol. Ever heard of the Colorado potato beetle? :banghead3: Google control efforts
Being a farmer, I've heard many stories of all sorts of plants and insects improving their immune system quite well. Some are just stories. Some truth.

That is more like a dip in a QT situation, right? I mean ... the salinity is only kept that high for just a few minutes to a couple of hours to a couple of days at most? The risk of keeping them in that high of a salinity for too many days would freak me out due to everything that happens to their osmoregulatory system.

Ask a Question