Salutations from the Piedmont of Virginia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
By way of introduction I am Guestie .... a lifelong goldfish fancier and small pond enthusiast. I became smitten with fantails during my childhood introductions to Cleo in Pinocchio and the worried goldfish in The Cat in the Hat.

And along the path of life I have always loved the aesthetic and mystique of little ponds in city garden, and have constructed two ponds of the same design and mood. Both constructed of brick ... capacity of 100 gallons or so .. small goldfish populations ... a couple of snails ... and helvola lilies. Both ponds stand above ground on terraces and back into a brick wall.

I keep the water circulating through three leaded frog fountain heads powered by a Little Giant pump.

I would like to post some images of my current pond and wildlife interests, in due time. First I must remove the clutter and fallen leaves.

I used to frequent another Goldfish website with brilliant graphics and information ... but it ceased to exist about ten years ago. I think it was called "The Fantastic Fantail," if anyone else remembers it.

I can't believe my good fortune in finding a site that features both pond hobbyists as well as Wordlers.

More soon ... when I better figure out the layout of this forum.

I am seeing some beautiful ponds here, truly.

Cheers!

G.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep, sounds like you'll fit right in here. Many of us are goldie fans and have a variety. Can't wait to see some pics, it sounds lovely.

Welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
Yep, sounds like you'll fit right in here. Many of us are goldie fans and have a variety. Can't wait to see some pics, it sounds lovely.

Welcome.

Thank you truly ... delighted to be here.

Was on Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga for family wedding two weeks ago.

Cheers!

G.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

We all love ponds and all connected to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
Here is a little tiny preview of my pond. I built it years ago from very old handcast bricks that were lying around my property.
It backs into a retaining wall. I coated the interior with pool coating ... over the years have recoated with Herco. It is plumbed internally to run three fountainheads which are leaded frogs by Florentine Craftsmen. Current population was six ... now five comets and fannies. Helvola Lilies and anacharis.

I have to keep a screen over the top of it to keep out raccoons and snakes.

Speaking of snakes, as the pond was under construction ... after summer rainstorms, I would find tiny darling little Eastern Worm Snakes taking up residence in the foundation. They are so rare and interesting, I hated to coax them away.

I love that it is mossy and a host to lichens and little ferns.

I will provide better images soon, as able.

But here is little glimpse:

IMG_20231115_145429.jpg

I wish that I had the means to show you my fish today ... that will have to wait.

G.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What a lovely setting to enjoy your pond! Thanks for the tip about the snakes, I love it when I get to google new critters. Sure enough, they're here too so now I"ll be keeping an eye out for them.

Ask a Question