Sand & Gravel Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wanted to update this thread with the final color of the structure hubby built for the sand & gravel filter.......as you can see, we went with green !

IMG_1499.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing your S/G filter!

My waterfalls don't have a back-flush, so I only clean those once a year during Spring cleaning. I rinse my mechanical filter pad every couple of days, and that's all that I do to maintain the filters in my pond. The water parameters (when I do check) are always good, the fish are active and healthy, does it mean I'm ok as far as filtration goes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing your S/G filter!

My waterfalls don't have a back-flush, so I only clean those once a year during Spring cleaning. I rinse my mechanical filter pad every couple of days, and that's all that I do to maintain the filters in my pond. The water parameters (when I do check) are always good, the fish are active and healthy, does it mean I'm ok as far as filtration goes?
Sounds like minimal maintenance and good results :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
@Tula , I saw you post on kiophen in Oct or Nov about running the S/G filter thru the winter. Did you keep it running? IF you kept it running how did it go? My climate is similar to yours. I plan on building one this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Tula , I saw you post on kiophen in Oct or Nov about running the S/G filter thru the winter. Did you keep it running? IF you kept it running how did it go? My climate is similar to yours. I plan on building one this spring.

We did not run it through the winter, because the barrel is exposed I worried it would crack in cold temps. I've been following a thread here where filters are in a filter pit / room, and wonder if I had something similar could I run it year round. The pump that feeds it, is in the skimmer and the pipes run on top of the ground, another point of concern with frigid temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
We did not run it through the winter, because the barrel is exposed I worried it would crack in cold temps. I've been following a thread here where filters are in a filter pit / room, and wonder if I had something similar could I run it year round. The pump that feeds it, is in the skimmer and the pipes run on top of the ground, another point of concern with frigid temps.
I thought your S/G was inside an enclosure . I guess the pipes on the ground would be an issue for freezing. Can you link the thread you are watching for filter pit room. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought your S/G was inside an enclosure . I guess the pipes on the ground would be an issue for freezing. Can you link the thread you are watching for filter pit room. Thanks

It's only closed on 3 sides for aesthetic purposes, but I'm wondering if I enclosed the 4th side and covered it, put insulation on inside walls etc., it would be ok?

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/val-and-i-are-in-total-shock.22705/page-9#post-371855

The most recent posts on this thread are about filter room/ pits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Since
We did not run it through the winter,
Did you add a back wash valve at the bottom of the barrel . If my memory is correct I don't believe a valve is part of the original build.
if not how did you drain the water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Since

Did you add a back wash valve at the bottom of the barrel . If my memory is correct I don't believe a valve is part of the original build.
if not how did you drain the water?
When my husband built it, he added a disconnect ( not sure that's the correct term ) , so it can be drained from the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Tula, the pump you use for the S/G filter is it an external pump or submerged? When viewing birdmans build and others on Koiphen it seems the pumps they use are external. My pumps are submerged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula, the pump you use for the S/G filter is it an external pump or submerged? When viewing birdmans build and others on Koiphen it seems the pumps they use are external. My pumps are submerged.
Mine is submerged and inside the skimmer. 2000 GPH is what we're using.

Ask a Question