SC-Koi

Reaction score
Really??? I had no idea of that... The old pond was too small for grass... I was thinking of going down to one of the marshes to grab some, but afraid of what else I could bring home with it... In the spring, grasses are cheap at the nursery... will just grab a few different ones and see what makes it... if they all do, even better... when the bog officially gets filled with gravel and plants, I dont care if it is half grass (surface are is about 8' x 18') and in an area that you dont look at much (on the end of the house).

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used to get mud from river to mix with peat and made lots of pond plants that way. My bull rush is from the wild. As long as your natural lakes and ponds are not polluted too bad I would not worry to much. Although the turtles would just love to make a mess in the pond with the mud! People are way too worried about dirt, we forget that we grow food in dirt. The worse thing that can happen is that you might get natural aquatic bugs and I got all kinds of natural aquatic bugs, leeches, water striders, and I swear they make my pond better! No problem here with leeches! The cleanest lakes in Canada are filled with leeches! :)

Reaction score
We may have to experiement with what native plants will work, as we have very few fresh water locations with plants, but lots of marsh lands (ocean). I keep hinting to hubby to borrow some waders and grab some cat tails and deer grass... can always throw them into pools for the time being. My favorite plant we have is lilies from a friend. Her sons, 25-30 years ago, "borrowed" a few from a lake for her... She still has her original!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Iris grow great in ponds also and found even daisy's grow good too.There are lots of plants that grow great in ponds you just have to try them .I wasn't sure about fountain grass but it took off and grew nice and a lot of spices seem to grow good also in a pond ,catnip and parsley and and leaks also .I even had spinach growing in my pond in a pot this summer .

Reaction score
I thought it was only specific iris varieties??? We have a few in the yard, not that I have any idea of what they are (didnt buy them, saved them from demo areas). All of them have died back except one cluster that still has all it's greens (it's in the 40's here now during the day).

After removing all the tropicals, I think all that we have left outside is mares tail, curlie mint, parrot feather, water cress and water celery...

What I need the most are hardy plants that can tolerate down to 0*F (only actually get wind chills that low, usually stay above the teens in the worst of a nasty winter) that we can plant into the bog and just leave them there (unless they get crowded and need thinning). If it is an invasive species, all the better... I would rather be tearing extras out than trying to plant more LOL.

Aside from veggies, and starting a few flowers inside, I am not that into "plants"... I start the flowers I do, mainly to keep hubby out of the nursery LOL. I'm more interested in trees and evergreens... My idea of a pretty bed has a mix of things like barberry (hubby hates them, but gave in and let me get some LOL), euonymus, hinoki cypress, azalea, a thread leaf maple, blue rug junipers, and maybe petunias (for purple) and marigolds (for orange).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a friend give me a bunch of iris bulbs he dug up when he moved and they got to much for the pond after only 3 months I divided them and then took them out and planted them in my gardens .I got poked in the eye and a couple of times got some nasty scratches on my face from the leaf stems and that was enough to convince me ,I was not poking an eye out from them .Never thought the stems were like the yuccas I planted .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sissy, very good idea to try other plants in pond. See plants have evolved and adapted very well to many different types of conditions. Ponds, lakes, streams and rivers in nature sometimes dry up, or water receeds to very low levels. Plant's can't just pick up and walk down the street to the next available water hole, so over the millions of years, they were forced to "adapt or die"! That is why you see canna's, lilys, grasses, Irises, rushes and many other types of plants that will grow in both water and land. I have a white lily in my pond, and in the winter I bring some in and treat as a house plant. If you walk down by any lake or natural pond you will see plants that grow right into the water, and the same plant extend far out on the land as well. As you experiment, you will notice that the plants may change in size when grown in water, and you will also find some plants are not suited for the pond at all, while others may tolerate just some very shallow water. Normally drought tolerant types such as rock garden and desert type of plants will not tolerate the pond at all. Thirsty plants that require lots of water, are better suited for water garden expermentation. Sissy please keep us updated on your findings! :)

Most regular irises won't grow in pond, or will only grow in very shallow water, but the Yellow Flag iris is a true water iris and will grow in deeper water than any other iris. The one I have floats in three feet of water, very extremely large root ball, long roots go right down to the bottom. The exposed roots take in the pond waste and eat it! The yellow flag is very hardy and is naturalized in some areas of Canada. Louisiana irises are very pretty and come in all different colors, and grow naturally down in Louisiana, but they are not hardy to extreme tempertures, so I don't have them.

I have other "land plants" that do very well in deep pond water, such as Yellow Monkey flower, and one time I had a funny looking "weed" growing in the pond as well!! :) JW might be able to experiment with funny looking weed!! Ha ha ha :)

Attachments

• IMAG3753.jpg
    IMAG3753.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 178

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha Colleen they will let people smoke it here but they won't let them grow it now I don't think. It's really still in a state of confusion and they are waiting to see what the Fed's say about the rules. My hubby just got a thing in the mail from his union that stated they will still be doing random drug tests for your job and if caught w/ pot in your system you will be in trouble. He is retired and does not smoke it anyways but I guess employers don't have to allow their employees to smoke it. Some guy just got caught w/ a bunch growing in his attic. The way he got caught is 2 guys tried to rob him of it and he shot them.

Taken from the net:
Cops: Man shoots dead 2 intruders at pot-growing house

By NBC News staff

A Washington state homeowner on Thursday shot and killed two people who may have been trying to steal marijuana from a large pot-growing operation at the home, a sheriff’s official said.
The shooting happened at a house in the Summit area of rural Pierce County, about 10 miles southeast of Tacoma. Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said the homeowner and the intruders both had weapons and got into a shootout.
The two intruders were killed; the homeowner and his 9-year-old son, who was also in the home at the time, were not hurt.
“This is not a random residential robbery,” Troyer told reporters at the scene. “This is a cultivating operation that somebody came and tried to take away from the homeowner.”
He described the pot-growing operation as “fairly substantial.”
“It could have went the other way. We could have had a dead 9-year-old and a dead homeowner,” Troyer said.
It was unclear whether the homeowner would face charges.
The shooting happened on the same day that a new law went into effect took effect in Washington decriminalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana. It is still a federal crime to grow or sell marijuana.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Weed? What WeeD! I know nothing of which you speak of, he he... was refering to an actual "weed" from the prairie that "blew" in! But now that you mention it, Here in Canada it is perfectly legal to"grow your own" IF you have a LIcEncE! Just "AsK yoUr DocTor if THis iS right for yOu", ops! Was that a copyright infringement? ... oh but I "spelled" it different so is"s OK. :) big PHaRama coming to get me! Ha ha

Hey are they going to have those outdoor "cafes" like they do in Europe, where you can have a coffee with your "purple grass"!! Ha ha, of course I meant the " Purple fountain grass", apparently grows in pond too.... he he!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh of course I did not think you were talking about that MJ stuff..........ha ha! Just brought it to mind when you mentioned the prairie weeds so thought I'd share :LOL: Who knows what it will end up being like here Colleen. I may step outside to get a breath of fresh air one day,noticing a lot of smoke coming from the neighbors chimney and come back in really hungry for some strange reason B)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ha ha, thants too funny. Munchies... everybody smoking it all around here, those neighbors,.. that must be where that funny smell comes from. Now that it is legal they won't have to steal and fight over it. Should make the crime rate come way down. Same thing in the 20's with prohibition of booze, everybody just bootlegged it and had their own "still" Do they sell that stuff in town now legally? Can you go pick it up like you would a case of beer? If not then it's only a matter of time before they have "smoke shops".

Reaction score
At our interm elections (to replace Senator Kennedy), they added a special ballot question to "decriminalize" it here... it does NOT make it legal, only that if you are CAUGHT with less than an ounce, they just write you a $100 ticket (and take your weed). Last month we got it to pass for MEDICAL use. I hope our next elections, they make it LEGAL period... and nope, not a user.. it is just silly to outlaw it, when the fact is that it is not only less harmful than cigs, or booze, it is HELPFUL for some.

Was it Washington and Colorado that made it legal? I think those are the two states that passed.... I think the rest of the country is going to be watching how they deal with the Feds... it is only a matter of time...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OMG, why didn't anybody think of that before!!! Pay down the National Dept!! What a awesome Idea Capewind! Then we could have pond pot plants!!! Holy muckahigha!! This would be a busy thread... how to grow your pond pot!! WoW! JW you could be an "early pioneer" and document your findings! This could be revolutionary! Sissy could document how to grow your own pond Veggies, well the rest of us "Veg out" on JW's awesome pot pond! Ha ha he he!

Ask a Question