sealing epdm rubber underwater

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
looking at the dialogue online, it seems that gold label products will work. any other suggestions?
are there any tapes?
i want to be prepared having built a new pond with a pieced liner sealed with a neoprene sealant.
thank you

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
looking at the dialogue online, it seems that gold label products will work. any other suggestions?
are there any tapes?
i want to be prepared having built a new pond with a pieced liner sealed with a neoprene sealant.
thank you

Why, oh why would you not have used a single liner rather than a pieced-together liner?

Am I reading your post incorrectly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i bartered 4 hours of work for 3 20 x 20 foot pieces of epdm.
with it i built a 100 foot watercourse and lined a 16 x 8 x 6 foot deep pond.
when i started the course i did not intend to have a fish pond. the fish i rescued.
essentially working within a budget and trying to create with available materials and resources.
i'm just one newbie man.

p.s. i like raccoons

p.s.s any suggestions?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Aside from it being a bad idea, the liner is the most important part of any pond construction.

Aside from factory-seams, it is inadvisable to have any seams anywhere within the main pond basin. For streams, multiple pieces of liner can be used on a downward slope if enough overlap is used to prevent wicking. These are generally bonded using Firestone 7877 EPDM adhesive.

Your seams, located within your main pond basin will be continually prone to failure, resulting in your having to constantly tear apart and rebuild something that should have zero problems for many, many years.

JMHO, but I'm stickin' to it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like your pond is one liner and if your stream is uphill the liner over a liner will work all the time As long as the liner is overlapped the right way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Aside from it being a bad idea, the liner is the most important part of any pond construction.

Aside from factory-seams, it is inadvisable to have any seams anywhere within the main pond basin. For streams, multiple pieces of liner can be used on a downward slope if enough overlap is used to prevent wicking. These are generally bonded using Firestone 7877 EPDM adhesive.

Your seams, located within your main pond basin will be continually prone to failure, resulting in your having to constantly tear apart and rebuild something that should have zero problems for many, many years.

JMHO, but I'm stickin' to it.

i can definitely relate to the zero problems for many years approach and would lay in a whole piece over the existing one when possible.
hopefully this is not needed till next spring when warm. i would prefer to put the resources i have towards preparing for winter at this point.
when you say prone to failure, do you mean that through daily pond effects it is likely to fail? at this point,
the seal is holding. giving thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sounds like your pond is one liner and if your stream is uphill the liner over a liner will work all the time As long as the liner is overlapped the right way

i probably used the least best approach using neoprene sealant solely instead of combining it with double sided epdm tape.
i'm pleased that i have seamed to accomplish what is necessary for the fish to survive the winter and like the waterway design, though not all that
impressed with some choices i made.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
i probably used the least best approach using neoprene sealant solely instead of combining it with double sided epdm tape.
i'm pleased that i have seamed to accomplish what is necessary for the fish to survive the winter and like the waterway design, though not all that
impressed with some choices i made.

Providing that this neoprene sealant does not fail when exposed to low temperatures, especially those seam locations at water level where ice may form.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I used the roofing tape to tape my seams in the stream. It's been 1 winter with ice, they still hold. Just make sure to clean the liner and the place where you want to tape real good before tape it.

Reaction score
What ever happens will happen. Don't worry about it at all. If it leaks put in a one piece liner. The only problem I see is that you will always suspect the pieced together liner is the source of your water loss (all ponds will lose water through evaporation and splashing). Usually you can put the liner last on the list of possible problems in your case it will be hard to say where to put it on the list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i bartered 4 hours of work for 3 20 x 20 foot pieces of epdm.
with it i built a 100 foot watercourse and lined a 16 x 8 x 6 foot deep pond.
when i started the course i did not intend to have a fish pond. the fish i rescued.
essentially working within a budget and trying to create with available materials and resources.
i'm just one newbie man.

p.s. i like raccoons

p.s.s any suggestions?
I love Raccoons! Rehab orphaned babies. Have not bothered my pond. Have solar lights around it, I think they have helped.

Ask a Question