Sealing Low Spot in Berm Help Really Needed!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
After long last I finally discovered two low spots in my ponds berm. Overflows in these two spots when I try to raise yet the overall water lavel. One low spot will be easy to increase in height. The second is problematic since it is where the liner forms a fold over V. To complicate matters the liner cannot be rolled back, lifted or unfolded in this V spot. To increase the height in this V requires something special. It is a very small area but as we all know little low spots cause big problems.

Could I use pond sealant spray foam? Could I use spray foam sealant under a flat stone to heighten the V area? Attached are two photos, a closeup of the V area and a wider view.

Please flood me with suggestions!

002.JPG
006.JPG

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've never used that goop or foam stuff but I don't know why it wouldn't work if you clean off the area you are putting it on real good. Hope some that have used it will chime in to help ya better. I had low spot on one end of my pond and I pulled the liner up just enough so I could shove some rounded rocks under to raise it but sounds like you can't do that to yours.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I tend to agree with what you wrote. Yes, at this time I believe it would cause a lot of work to remove berm corner support to reveal the end of the liner. Having to refold that one spot could turn into a nightmare. The remaining back of pond liner goes over the berm and down the back side to prevent erosion. The back of pond is made of two horizontal layers of concrete blocks supported by soil. The pond being on a slope presented(s) many pia challenges. Please excuse my profanity. :eek:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, all I can say is that.......when I was building my mini-turtle bog, I under estimated the total height of the walls. I, um, cheated a little. I lifted the liner and sprayed a bunch of Great Stuff foam along the top edge of the bog wall. To keep the foam at a consistent height [and to keep it from going everywhere] I placed a line of fence pickets on top of the foam until it stopped "growing." I sawed off any unlevel spots or projections, then put the liner back over it. You'd never know....

It would probably work under the liner, but not sure how it would do on top of the liner -- all you can do is try it. Which are your talking about?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I might also think about gluing on another piece of liner, like a patch. I don't know how much you need but maybe putting on a 6" or 12" piece might do the trick. You might not get a clean joint at the folded over section but there you could use the silicone pond sealers in abundance.

Ask a Question