Semi-natural/seasonal pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I am looking for help on finishing my 2 small ponds and streams. Little back info... I live in the PNW in what some would call wetlands. Very flat property approximately 100' wide, at the bottom of a hill. Yeah. So to make it usable i dug swales and berms along both lengths to meet in the middle of the property. I then dug 2 ponds and streams between them and everything fills up in the rainy season overflowing into my neighbors "aqua duct" canal that eventually dumps to the canal at the street. With his permission of course.

So what i am wanting to do is cement line the 2 ponds and streams along the width of the property (100'). I have frogs, salamanders, newts, and a few other critters I have yet to identify. With this being seasonally fed with plentiful amounts of water for half the year and the other half its dry as a bone... How should i go about doing it and/or should i just leave it alone? Any and all comments or suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like you have the perfect rain garden. Maybe amend the soil and plant some native marsh plants there. If you still want a pond, I’d put it somewhere else as run off water will likely leave you with a dirty looking pond contaminated with who-knows-what.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it all depends what's your flavor . you could build a cistern and collect a good deal of the water you need for the dry month or use a autofill system. either way both ideas will work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1658108850022.gif
@SourGrape

Ask a Question