semi natural pond

Reaction score
I have a pond that is semi natural. By that I mean that I have a liner on the bottom with natural sides.
My question is what would be the best type of filter to put on this. I have been thinking of adding a bottom drain with a sediment filter, mechanical and biofilter with an external pump. My pond is around 5000 gal.
Right now I'm using a submersible and an upflow filter. This setup worked great till it got hot this summer.
Any comments or ideas would be appreciated to make my pond work better.

Thanks
Steve

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do you have natural sides? Is it all clay?
Post some pictures, that will help everybody help you with your filtration.

Bottom drains are great, retro fit or are you going to plumb one in (cut the liner)? If you want to make your own filter check out the diy section.

Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
The sides are just dirt. They are clay. I am under the impression that the former owner of the house had an above ground pool and dug it out so it would be deeper. It holds water well, so I put a liner in just the bottom to keep the plants from growing up in all of the pond. It supports wildlife just fine now and before the liner. I wanted the sides to stay natural for the wildlife. I will get some pics up soon.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, have not heard of many ponds with natural sides.

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my pond. The water is murky so the bottom isn't visible. That's what I hope I can accomplish on an everyday basis with your help. It was clear most of the summer till it got real hot.

Attachments

• DSCF7744.JPG
    DSCF7744.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF7745.JPG
    DSCF7745.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF7747.JPG
    DSCF7747.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCF7746.jpg
    DSCF7746.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
Sounds like a cow pond. Around here it would dry up to quick. Neat set up.

I would say a bio filter with a submersible pump since you can't really go under with a drain. That will at least help with the water.

Thanks for the pics.

Reaction score
also have you got alot of rain latly because the walls could be eroding daily you may want to check that out but its a really cool idea i like the grass falling over around the edge...

~marino~

Reaction score
Haven't had much rain in the last couple months. Walls seem pretty solid that's why I decided to do just a liner in the bottom. It was there sitting idle with just frogs and salamanders in it for four years before I started doing anything with it. I just got tired of looking at all the water weeds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your water looks like mine did when I spilled a bucket of mud and rocks in it. Suspended mud particles. A filter of some sort would help you clear it up.

Ask a Question