Serious Algae problem

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have got quite a bit of the same stuff, ugly stuff for sure! Hoping bumping up the filtration/circulation knocks it back so I can find a happy medium for me and the Koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We get "winter algae" but it's not string. It's kind of... ruffley? If that's a word? It's really cool stuff that we've only seen over these last two winters. I'll try to get a picture of it before the fish eat it all. They had cleaned out about a third of the pond as of yesterday. They start with the stuff that grows in the shallower parts of the pond - I'm guessing because it greens up first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I get the ruffley stuff also - I always wondered about how it is different from string algae. It's sorta pretty. I usually just physically remove it as it comes of in hunks.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yep, pretty hardy stuff. It is really unfortunate that it can detract from the looks of a pond because filmentous algae can probably do more for water quality than the best biofilter on the market. Nature knows!
My algae grows best all winter long, even under the ice. Nature provide greenery for fish to eat and hide in all winter long. It is a necessary evil that is good for the winter pond. Come spring the big sedges and floating hornwort start to regenerate and grow and the algae cannot compete. It will all be long gone by the long hot dog days of summer if you have plenty of sedges.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think the aeration is what keeps most of it away on my pond .I make sure water keeps moving on the surface of the pond also .You can see it under my bridge

Attachments

• foggy day in march 2015 004.JPG
    foggy day in march 2015 004.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 200
  • foggy day in march 2015 006.JPG
    foggy day in march 2015 006.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 206
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I pull it out by hand or use a thistle style brush to pull it out in the spring. Once my pond is fully cycled 95% of it disappears because there is not enough food for the algae because the beneficial bacterial uses it instead. By cleaning your pond too much you can delay it from cycling. I never add chemicals to my pond. I don't see the need for it.

Reaction score
Hey robamy did the treatment work on your pond and was the fish ok with it . I may give it a go if it worked.

Ask a Question