Should I drain the pond?

Reaction score
Have recently extended the pond, re-potted some plants using normal garden soil and have spent the whole of yesterday lowering the liner and repositioning the rocks, however the water is totally brown now, I have a UV filter and also a Hozelock Easy Clear All In One Fish Pond Filter/Pump which also has a small UV light in it, but that doesn't work. There are 12 goldfish in there, plenty of room I should think as they aren't big fish at all. The pond now looks good apart from the mud! What should I do? Thanks....
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2994]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It looks like the way your rocks are on the one side more water and dirt could flow in but hard to tell .I use quilt batting in a basket where the water comes out it picks up the fine stuff .IV does not work well when it gets mud on it and may have to be cleaned
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]

Reaction score
Thanks Sissy, the rocks which you refer to are actually ok, it's just the way the picture is taken I think. Can you explain how you do the quilt batting in a basket? You must excuse me, I'm fairly new to all this :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just fold it and set it in there and hose from the pump running into the basket .It may have to be cleaned off often but worth the extra work .I just hose it off .This was when I rebuilt my waterfall this past spring and stirred up stuff .If it is algae then I soak the quilt batting in peroxide and water and reuse until I can't get it clean .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
amazing how well it works but it does take work but really worth it just to see the fish again .

Reaction score
Not to go against you sissy, but i think that batting is going to be over worked for this job. It will take alot of it and alot of time resulting in most of it to settle out. Try picking up a 4in or 7 inch filter sock, you will need to clean it out from time to time, but it will not be over worked from the fines. Good luck

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If it were mine I would change the water while the stuff is still in suspension to get it out of the pond.
If you let it settle you will have it there to stir up each time you work on the pond.

Reaction score
getting mud out of water is difficult. Good to find the source of the problem and fix that and then replace the water. Or what others have already suggested.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
djceney said:
Thanks Guys, I will try the filter sock for now, see how I go, appreciate all the replies!
If a filter sock can pickup fines it will plug even faster then batting. I do not see the logic here.

If your ports are leaking soil no amount of filtering is going to help much. As waterbug said first find the source of the problem.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You posted you repotted plants with garden soil. This is probably the reason for the brown water. Most people use clay kitty litter or gravel.

Reaction score
HTH said:
If a filter sock can pickup fines it will plug even faster then batting. I do not see the logic here.

If your ports are leaking soil no amount of filtering is going to help much. As waterbug said first find the source of the problem.
The logic is that the batting is more of a polisher. Im sorry that they are trying that out hth, best thing ive seen work yet in my ponds. If you wanna do a water change, thats fine and your opinion, you went against me twice now and i get your point.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
mariobrothersleeve said:
The logic is that the batting is more of a polisher. Im sorry that they are trying that out hth, best thing ive seen work yet in my ponds. If you wanna do a water change, thats fine and your opinion, you went against me twice now and i get your point.
Things are what they are and it has nothing to do either of us as people. Best road if to figure out what is correct.

I want to make it clear that this thread is about djceney's pond.

Try picking up a 4in or 7 inch filter sock, you will need to clean it out from time to time, but it will not be over worked from the fines. Good luck
By the color of the pond there is a very good chance that clay particles are clouding the water. Clay is around 4 microns and the finest filter sock I found with a fast check is 25 microns most 100 or 400.

Ask a Question