Should I cut this all back?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This is aquatic bacopa, to the right of the pink water celery. It did really well last year. I think these stems are still living? I didn't cut them back because I wanted to keep some cover in the pond for the fish to hide in. Now that the sun has been out so much and it's warming up, the spring algae is starting to grow. Should I leave this bacopa? Or cut it way back to help eliminate some of the gunk and decaying matter in the water that the algae might feed on?

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
From what I'm seeing in that picture, I'd tend to leave it alone. It doesn't look, to my eyes, that a whole lot of decay is going on with that clump of plant matter, plus - a bit of string algae in the early warm-up days isn't a bad thing (I'm seeing that starting in my pond as well)

You can always cut it back more as the season progresses, should it turn out to not be as 'alive' as you might hope.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd say that's a personal preference - shearing it back will make it bloom again and freshen up the foliage.

I'm just over here jealous of the fact that A. bacopa is hardy in your zone and B. you're already talking about "warming up"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'd say that's a personal preference - shearing it back will make it bloom again and freshen up the foliage.

I'm just over here jealous of the fact that A. bacopa is hardy in your zone and B. you're already talking about "warming up"
But in September/October, you will get to wear jeans and a jacket and have crisp cool evenings! I will be in the AC, complaining that it's still in upper 80s! :LOL:

Ask a Question