show us your reptiles

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Since we had a Bird thread going, and a frog thread going, why not a reptile? i know that there are some of us they have turtles in our pond or pond areas, I know that snakes visit ponds and I've seen some pretty cool snake pics and of course there are the lizards that come visit. I'll start it off by posting some pics of our reptiles. Spike is the bearded dragon, 12 years old, then Dozer the succalta tortoise 2 years old, Yea dozer earns his name well, He'll walk right over anyone that gets in his path. Tinnie the leopard tortoise 1 year old, and Boss and Hoss, the two rescue boxies. boss the one with the bright white chine and brighter orange is the fellow that got hit by a car. his shell has now fully grown back and the crack has completely closed up.

Attachments

• baby koi and turtles 007.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 007.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 300
  • baby koi and turtles 009.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 009.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 348
  • baby koi and turtles 011.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 011.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 294
  • baby koi and turtles 004.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 004.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 313
  • baby koi and turtles 006.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 006.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 342
  • baby koi and turtles 014.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 014.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 313
  • baby koi and turtles 016.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 016.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 368
  • baby koi and turtles 012.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 012.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 382
  • baby koi and turtles 008.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 008.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 329
  • baby koi and turtles 013.JPG
    baby koi and turtles 013.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 293

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat bunch of buddies you have there Larkin. I don't have anything like that here and never see a snake even. My friend up the road has quite a collection and next time I'm over there I'll hopefully remember to bring my camera and post some pix of what she has. All I have is Iggy the Iguana,lol!

IMG_3850.jpg

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I read the post before I figured out it wasn't real.
This guy was on a rock at the Old house today. i thought he was pretty cool, watched him for several minutes before he scampered off.

Attachments

• IMAG01281.jpg
    IMAG01281.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is divided; goldies on the left, painted turtles on the right. I'm posting pics from last summer as I haven't anything recent-yet. Also, since I missed putting my one and only frog (interesting story here; I was summering the turtles on the driveway in a kiddie pool and had taken a clump of cattail from the natural pond at the end of the road, and apparently snagged a tadpole or young frog with it. So, it grew up with the turtles, all the while I was unaware, until I attempted to clean the cattail of string algae before putting it into the new pond, when I reached in and something moved. I almost had a heart attack, not expecting this. Well, I figured it survived a closer encounter than what I'd created, so I took a chance that the frog would do okay in the new, larger pond. Suffice it to say he's now twice as big and seems to be doing well).

Anyway, these are the characters (beside the goldfish) which make my nights and weekends serenely more pleasant.

Michael

Attachments

• 2011-08-27 at 16-12-29.jpg
    2011-08-27 at 16-12-29.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 2011-08-27 at 16-06-16.jpg
    2011-08-27 at 16-06-16.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 2011-08-27 at 16-02-31.jpg
    2011-08-27 at 16-02-31.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 261

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What is it a skink or whatever ya call it?
Thats a red headed skink. fairly rare around here, we have a few other kinds as well, my favorite is the five line which has five golden stripes and a bright blue tail. i hope tof them oneday. they are fast and usually see them for just a few seconds and they disappear.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thats a red headed skink. fairly rare around here, we have a few other kinds as well, my favorite is the five line which has five golden stripes and a bright blue tail. i hope tof them oneday. they are fast and usually see them for just a few seconds and they disappear.

We have both, but they seem to rotate. This year I've seen a little of both. Big & fast! If I hear a louder than usual rustle in the leaves, it's probably a skink.

Reaction score
older thread i know - but i wanted to post that before this cold snap here in Houston, i was enjoying seeing the lizards and skinks.
Saw some trying to attract a female too - puffing up and glowing red - but she wasnt having anything to do with it!
Used to keep a snake in my college days - have not seen any snakes yet in the new house here yet - but its early... and we are in the suburbs... we may not be far enough out.... having said that we did see an "old" mouse the other day - gave him somewhere warm to sleep and some food and he died a couple days later.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Forgot all about this thread. I was walking around the other day along the edges of the woods and along the pond edges. So far very few lizards and skinks out. Have seen the bigger Red ear sliders starting to bask in the sun, Found a few spring peeper frogs down it bottoms near the river. So should be to much longer. Our Japanese magnolia is just starting o bloom and the blueberries are full of little unopened buds. Temps got down to 32 last night but back up to 65 today. Finally starting to feel the first effects of spring approaching.

Reaction score
had to evict our 3rd frog the other day - it seems they fall into the pond then because of the vertical walls they have trouble getting out again.
since we have so many small goldfish/shubunkins my wife and i have been trying to ensure they dont get eaten by frogs/toads waking up and finding breakfast/lunch/dinner in bed!
we saw him on sunday right before the cold snap this week, but couldnt catch him to get him out...so since it was so cold we decided to just leave him be thinking he would be in some cold induced hibernation again - wrong....
saw him a couple times after i came home - right under the waterfall - not sure that he was clever enough to know we had a crate that was easy for him to climb on the other side of the pond and was an easy hop for him to get out.
so after an early dinner for us we went back out and saw him again trying to get out - my wife managed to scoop him up and we took him pastures new...
i think he was definitely cold and that helped in catching him, but my wife is pretty good at catching fish and now frogs - shes caught all the ones we re-homed.
he was quite a size - probably 4 inches long.
i know we are likely in an unending "war" but this battle went to the fish :)

Reaction score

That is my favorite too, mainly because it is about the only skink we have around here. But they are doggone fast for sure and don't try to catch them by the tail.... They just drop it and run. You are left with the blue tail squirming and wiggling and the skink runs home and gets a nickname of "STUBBY" from his buddies for a while until the tail grows back.

Gordy

Reaction score
Neat bunch of buddies you have there Larkin. I don't have anything like that here and never see a snake even. My friend up the road has quite a collection and next time I'm over there I'll hopefully remember to bring my camera and post some pix of what she has. All I have is Iggy the Iguana,lol!

IMG_3850.jpg

J.W.

That is a most, the most, realistic looking garden pond prop ever! Where on earth did you find him? That looks just like my "Iggy" (Saint Ignatious of Loyola) that I had as a pet back in JH/HS.

Gordy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I got him online but can't remember the name of the place. I got some floating gators there also but the darn things had holes and sunk. Addy bought some stuff there also, maybe she will remember the name of the place. Otherwise somewhere a year or so back here we were all talking about the stuff we bought there. Prolly in the good banter thread. If I find it I will let ya know. Also if you leave the critters outdoors you need to put some kind of special finish on them or they will deteriorate.

Ask a Question