sides collapsed need help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Help, built pond in ground w/ liner gravel on top sandstone around, didn’t fill n it’s rained the sides have collapsed n bulged now about 2ft water in it what do I do where do I start to fix it???? Desperate

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Have built this pond directly in ground with a liner, gravel on top, sandstone around to hold liner, hadn’t filled it, and rain has hit causing the liner to bulge n walls collapse help wat can I do

Attachments

• EE88194F-180F-48D8-95BC-A81E46BE041B.jpeg
    EE88194F-180F-48D8-95BC-A81E46BE041B.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 435
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd start by pumping out the water. You got water under the liner apparently, which needs to be rectified.

Is the pond filled with gravel?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How old is the pond and was it heavy rain and can you tell where it ran in at .If this was a one time thing or first time thing ,then you will have to figure out where that water came from .Is a gutter running water towards the pond .Water can travel a long distance from a roof or gutter .It will leave a rut in the grass to see .Could there be something buried under the ground .We found an old cistern 15 feet underground on my property and had to remove it and I was lucky it was where the basement was going

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The pond never got filled and we had a lot of rain the walls have collapsed, and the liner has bulged with sand soil behind it, where do I start? Desperate for help and devastated
If it was my pond I would take out the liner and stabilize the wall structure then put the liner back in place

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Like I said in your other thread I would remove the liner to asses and stabilize the wall structure

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-5_9-7-26.gif
@Jojo.b Sure looks like you will need to start over and make those walls underneath more stable. Might have to make your walls more slanted if your soil is very sandy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Help, built pond in ground w/ liner gravel on top sandstone around, didn’t fill n it’s rained the sides have collapsed n bulged now about 2ft water in it what do I do where do I start to fix it???? Desperate
Hi. I'm sorry about your pond problems. I can tell you about my pond and what we did a few months ago. My wife decided our pond was too close to the garage and wanted me to make it more narrow. I emptied most the water out of the pond and left enough for the fish and plants to get by and filled in a section about 10 ft long and 2 ft wide and 3 ft deep. The soil was way to soft that we filled in and it was obvious that even the weight of the water in the pond wouldn't keep the soil from collapsing in so I think this might be somewhat similar to your problem. We took a 4x8 sheet of plywood and stuck it on the side with all the loose soil. We actually drove a few stakes in the ground to hold the bottom and even put a few large pieces of limestone on the bottom to keep it from moving. We refilled the pond and the water did the rest of the work of pushing the plywood and loose soil. The next day we cut the excess plywood carefully without hurting the liner. Over the next few days I filled in any gaps in the soil that fell in but eventually everything was solid. We also put limestone pavers on that side and most of them have an edge resting on the liner that covers the plywood that is still in the dirt. Later in the summer we even did some plantings in the area and everything is fine. I'll never pull that plywood out and someday it may disintegrate but by that time the dirt will all be very solid. I'm attaching a few pictures. The first one is where I was redigging the pond. Filling in the side by the garage and evening off the bottom and taking out plant shelves so the pond held the same amount of water even we were filling in one side. The second one is where you can see the section by the garage with the board sticking up with the liner over it. This is before we cut the board. The last one is the finished pond about a month or so later. Even though the board we put in was straight I was able to work with my rocks to give it look more natural.
IMG_20180615_085143841.jpg
IMG_20180615_153445734.jpg
IMG_20180729_134008631.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Today we pumped the pond to empty it, we have removed the rocks and liner and stabilised all the side calls, refit the liner n gravel n filled it up, so far we have a success story, thankyou each of you for your input and help it’s much appreciated xxx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Soil type?
depth of pond?
more pictures
. with out these you could simply fold back the liner and pull out the collapsed soil . that is if you have enough liner to fill that void if not one way to do it would be to fill the pond slowly and at the same time fill in your sides with dirt compacting as you go against the underlayment .

Ask a Question