Laying on their sides

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Koi 8 years old 15lbs were without air they are laying on their sides 2 days. Do i need to put them down or will they recover?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-16_10-21-57.gif
@Mom
Hmmmmmmmmmm, I think we need more info. I would think they would already have died if no air.

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the pump kept going in and out after the hurricane so for 5 days they have been with and without air or they were shocked a couple of times when they tried putting back on the power. The ground wire was not fixed before they replaced power. Had to turn off power back on generator. if that makes sense to you

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
What exactly do you mean "were without air"?
I'm in Florida will you paid the hurricane I had a generator for our pumps they kept going out and then when they go back up they might have gotten a shock so it's either a lack of oxygen or current but the other6 or fine .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How horrible for you and your fish to have had to go through that awful storm. What ever the fishes problems are if the water has not been contaminated in some way and they now have air and filtering going then I think all you can do is wait and see how they do. Maybe @Meyer Jordan has some better advice for you. Glad you made it safely through that storm.

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
How horrible for you and your fish to have had to go through that awful storm. What ever the fishes problems are if the water has not been contaminated in some way and they now have air and filtering going then I think all you can do is wait and see how they do. Maybe @Meyer Jordan has some better advice for you. Glad you made it safely through that storm.
Thank you!

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
What exactly do you mean "were without air"?
Been on generators for 6 days now generators quit on and off through those 6 days don't know whether it was the lack of air for when generators were down or weather when they came back up they gave them an electrical charge or when the power company started up The Electric and we got a power surge because it's not grounded correctly cause an electrical fire in the home so we were back to generator they've been on their sides for 2 days.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Where exactly in Florida are you located?
I would suspect, as is often the case with tropical cyclones, your fish suffered multiple stressors, their environment was changing rapidly, some water quality parameters were fluctuating, etc. If the operculum (gill cover) is moving then the fish are breathing, so there is hope. Only time can correct any damage done by storm-related stress.
I would rule out any electrical shock.
Have patience. Do not start adding pond treatments of any kind, this will only stress the fish more.

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would suspect, as is often the case with tropical cyclones, your fish suffered multiple stressors, their environment was changing rapidly, some water quality parameters were fluctuating, etc. If the operculum (gill cover) is moving then the fish are breathing, so there is hope. Only time can correct any damage done by storm-related stress.
Have patience. Do not start adding pond treatments of any kind, this will only stress the fish more.
Thank you, its very hard to watch them gills are moving but they are on the bottom sideways. Others are fine.

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Orlando still without power do to power line exposed ground wire

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Orlando still without power do to power line exposed ground wire
Not that it is any comfort to you, but I have been through too many of these destructive storms (three were direct hits) lost my home in the last one Ivan 2004. Invariably there are fish losses incurred with these storms, the closer to the center of the storm the higher the fish mortality rate. Those fish that do not perish quickly usually do recover. It just takes time.
Have you recovered from this storm? Your fish are no different.

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not that it is any comfort to you, but I have been through too many of these destructive storms (three were direct hits) lost my home in the last one Ivan 2004. Invariably there are fish losses incurred with these storms, the closer to the center of the storm the higher the fish mortality rate. Those fish that do not perish quickly usually do recover. It just takes time.
We're still without power that's just an annoyance I worry about my 17 year old chocolate lab he's feeling the heat somewhat very hard to watch my fish ones gone the other two were hanging in there I thank you. I used to live in Jersey I lost my house in the flood in 2012 after three floods that one was a 9-foot into my house was up on my second floor now it's just a park all the houses in my neighborhood are gone. I had a pond there as well and lost my fish were lost. I try not to think whether they made it or not. I just have a hard time with thinking they're suffering I can't deal with things suffering.

Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meyer, inside their gills are very red and 1 lost his slime and color from his back. Is it possible that they ate some debris that landed in the pond before I got to clean it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Mom , I'm so sorry for all you're enduring. We have family in Palm Bay and their power was just restored. We also have family in Naples, and their power came on for 24 hours, then out again...indefinitely.

Ask a Question