Sieves

Reaction score
Yes, koiguy, that's what I said earlier, that there are pros that duplicate the actual sieve you have pictured in your lower video, and from what I've learned from them, they do it as a challenge because the cost comes out nearly the same as the actual sieve. What you were saying was to create a cheaper version with netting, which just isn't a real sieve.

DoDad, it doesn't appear to have much flow because they are missing the floating weir. It's an important component for sure and is what assists in flow. This person has definitely created something that catches poop and keeps it out of the water column, which is certainly a good thing. However, one look at his pond and you can see that the water is not clear. So, something is amiss.

Airic, yes, there is a current build on Koiphen of someone duplicating this sieve. Carl used a fiberglass coating and it even has a variation of the weir. He is one person who said that he did not save one single cent building it, he just wanted to have at it and see if he could copy it. And he's done a really good job--he even painted it umber to match his pond landscaping. LOL!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NO KOIKEEPR i wasnt talking about nylon and a bucket...altho for the money i'd rather!!! and i never mentioned netting!
i just dont see a whole lot of trouble doing a diy version...but, i wouldnt build one because i have absolutely no use for one....

Reaction score
LOL! Excuse the syntax--you said screening, I called it netting.

No need to get all amped up koiguy, we're having a friendly conversation about what's reasonable to DIY, and what just may not be worthwhile. No need for SCREAMING and lots of !!!!

I wouldn't want our readers to just think they can slap one of these things together, this would require someone with way more DIY experience than could be reasonable for most people. So, I was simply offering a word of caution to those who would attempt it.

And, hey, I didn't think I needed it either until I got one, and now I know the value in it. After experiencing a sieve, I can truly and legimiately say I wouldn't have a pond without one. Same goes for a bottom drain and skimmer. I have them, I now see the value. Are they absolutely necessary? Well, I would say with a larger pond like mine, it's a definitive plus plus. But it comes at a price, for sure. As I've said in my build thread, I made sacrifices in other places on the pond so that I could get the sieve. Instead of stone (my preference), I used slate tile, etc.

My preference is to DIY as much as I can. But, I accept the limitations of what is reasonable for me (or most folks) to DIY. So, I would still caution an average DIY'er from attempting to build a replica of the sieve in question. It looks looks like a deceivingly simple contraption, but it's actually a very interesting and susrprisingly complex little gizmo for what it is.

Reaction score
Thanks for posting these. Both threads clearly illustrate that this is not an easy build and the results are not equal to the original. Should someone be a master DIY'er and want to take this on here on GPF, I would certainly enjoy watching that thread. For the rest of us mere mortals, be warned and do not try this at home. LOL!

Reaction score
yea definately alot of work.. i would go with the last link i did.. lol.. the wine type one.. which is giving me some ideas as a prefilter really... i can look for some thin mesh, feed it through the top and out the bottom to my bio...

but then again my pond is clean and clear and if i take something else on for the pond the wife will hang me... :)

Reaction score
oh, sorry Zman!

Yes, a sieve is a form of pre-filter. It catches junk BEFORE it enters the pump and filter. And the important thing is that the crud does not sit in the water--it's held up by a very fine 300 micron stainless sieve--so it's removed completely from the water column/pond.

Typically with our mechanical filtration, like a barrel and such, the crud stays in the bottom--but in the water--until we push the waste lever to get it out. So, technically it's still sitting in the water column and a pollutant. With a sieve, its outta the water waiting for you to scoop it out--which I just do daily. I just grab the sieve plate, give it a good shake and put it back. 10 seconds worth of work and the poop is gone.

Reaction score
Yes, I've seen this Russel Garden's one. It's sort of like the Aqua Sieve one, too. The term sieve is a little bit of a misnomer on these two products, they are more like water strainer pre-filters. This is certainly better than not having anything, for sure. The chief complaint with these is that the baskets plug up easily when it comes to little things.

Also, causeeneffeckt is correct. You can easily make this by plumbing a small barrel or bucket and sticking in a perforated garbage pail (they have 'em at lowes in metal where they sell the home office/bathroom garbage pails).

If you are able to do some simple DIY, this is a good project to take on.

Ask a Question