Sieves

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Yes, I've seen this Russel Garden's one. It's sort of like the Aqua Sieve one, too. The term sieve is a little bit of a misnomer on these two products, they are more like water strainer pre-filters. This is certainly better than not having anything, for sure. The chief complaint with these is that the baskets plug up easily when it comes to little things.

Also, causeeneffeckt is correct. You can easily make this by plumbing a small barrel or bucket and sticking in a perforated garbage pail (they have 'em at lowes in metal where they sell the home office/bathroom garbage pails).

If you are able to do some simple DIY, this is a good project to take on.

I myself was looking to make a DIY seive and sumbled on this thread as well as others. Here is the best solution I've found and I'm dedicating to this project to solve my sieve problem.

It is called the "Broccoli Rocket" which makes it a little harder to find since it doesn't say DIY Sieve and google doesn't pull it up. It is a long thread and this is a complete new concept so you need to read through the entire thing to grasp it, but this thing is doing about 10000 gallons an hour right now...

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?99124-The-Broccoli-Rocket

Lets all work together to solve our pre-filter problems... ;)

Glenn

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
WOW that one new concept to follow, there are some clever people out there, guess this makes my shoe string budget of £ 20.00 water tank plus 300 micron mesh, all off ebay look tame......still it works, tried floating view, concept fine but just one extra part to go wrong or jam up whilst away on holiday.
My motto is keep it simple ...less to go wrong, as most of us pensioners have to watch are money....weather it pounds or dollars.

Attachments

• DSC01005.JPG
    DSC01005.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
I agree, keep it simple. I've read of people having trouble with the float and they seemed pretty stressed about it.

The only reason for the float is so the basin below that feeds the pump can be smaller. That's important for a manufactured product that has to be shipped, or if space is a serious issue. But for DIY the basin can be large enough for hardly any extra cash and the entire float goes away. Personally I think DIY is a better filter.

Do you think the 300 micron mesh is worth while? I've only used fiberglass window screen in the past.

Reaction score
so gravity feeding from bottom drains and skimmer through a sieve directly into a large tank would mean no floating weir meaning no reason to buy a sieve? through kiophen someone mentioned Belleville wire cloth yet it doesn't mention it being tilted wedge wire. How important is tilted wedge wire? is that what the storebought sieves use?

off topic but could the "large tank" I mention above be a sediment tank with moving media in it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think that you are making this more complicated than it need be.
But in answer to your last question a settlement tank is devoid of any media.

Ask a Question