Sink my air line!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Um what am I missing the link I provided above has 3/8" weighted air line tubing for $1.12 a foot click on the picture that has the label of the 3/8" and the first selection is for $1.12 a foot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@GBBUDD - you missed the part where I'm too cheap to pay for the weighted line. And if I do, I don't want to pay for the 25 feet that are on the land side of the pond - I'll just buy the five feet I need to get me from the edge to the bottom of the pond... hence the connector.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
definitely i'd not run the weighted any where it wasn't needed you can run pvc or abs even above water line

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The trick I used was I got big sea shells and if they had a hole in them great if not then I drilled one in them and ran the hose through the shell .Great the shell adds to the look also .I have also used rocks and drilled holes in them but harder to do .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
roto zip .I even use shells to hold my sump pump hose in the crate with reusable furnace filter and quilt batting .Last one is from my air hose ,I only have 1 air stone on the bottom of the pond
100_4146.JPG
100_4148.JPG
100_4145.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The trick I used was I got big sea shells and if they had a hole in them great if not then I drilled one in them and ran the hose through the shell .Great the shell adds to the look also.
What kind of drill bit did you use on the shells, @sissy? I’ve tried drilling holes (with my Dremel) to make “chew toys” for my Cockatiel, and had one heck of a time — those things are solid and hard! And they were the smaller shells.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The bigger shells are thinner but I use a carbide on the thicker ones but those shells like I used were thin and dremel cut right into them .I cut a square and then use a router type bit to clean it up and finish the hole off to the right size .I soak the shells in peroxide and water which also makes them softer for awhile
100_4144.JPG
100_4164.JPG
100_4157.JPG
100_4163.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm sitting here watching my fish use the new aerator as a playground - they love it, after a few days of being totally freaked out by it. We ended up getting the weighted line - simple and easy. My kind of solution. Bought enough so we can move the aerator around to different spots if we want. So much better than our old small airstone version.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I missed this thread totally, but I'm glad you purchased the weighted line.
I don't know if you read my experience, but last winter my weighted line was frozen in the ice for a week or so without power and still was able to allow air through once I got it going again.
I don't recommend using an aerator through extended cold periods, but the weighted air line is definitely a durable method of providing air to diffusers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good to know @MitchM . We've never had a problem with our airlines freezing, even with the puny ones we had before that preferred floating to staying where they belonged (why do they even sell those dumb floating lines?) but this hose is definitely much thicker and I have more confidence that it will perform well even in cold temps. I like things that do what they're supposed to!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would recommend a couple stainless steel hose clamps to go with the hose barb connector pictured above

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't recommend using an aerator through extended cold periods
I bought a 120 air pump to insure enough surface agitation to keep an opening for gas exchange. is this wrong ?

Ask a Question