sissy asked...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
anyone ever see a purple fantail or here of it .Koi farm e-mailed me from NC and said he will be getting them in and he will also be getting in the garra pingi pingi cold water algae eater I asked for .Algae eater is 7 dollars and fantails he said i could have one for 2 dollars /figure someone here must know of them

ive never heard of them myself....sound kind of cool tho.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny thing jw on that it says interesting color and wonder what that means but sure looks gold to me .It does have a longer tail on it than my fantails .I had asked him to order the algae eater but have read more up on them being aggressive .I had actually asked him about them last spring and he could not get hold of them .The koi farm is in Reidsville NC about a half hour from me and I got all my fish from him .I googled it and it just showed a tiny pic and could tell nothing from in .It does sound like an interesting fish koi guy but I would like to see it in person .I wonder if the petco store here will have them .Thank you JW

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
FYI, If you see odd colored fish in Petco or petsmart, take the time to make sure it's a true bred color variation not one of those injected colored fish. Many fish that have the painting include, zebra danio's. Parrot fish, glass fish, tiger barbs, tin foil barbs, and even recently saw oscars. These fish have been injected with a water base dye that glows or highlites certain areas of the fish. Looking at the picture of the goldfish that is pictured I would say that it is NOT injected but a new color variation that a breeder is working on. i would bet in person it has a more maroon/lavender hugh (sp) that appears to have a lavender look. I saw some black moore's recently that had a blue coloration to them and were being sold as midnight blue telescopes. Although they are black the way the light reflected on them it gave a dark blue look.
As for the fins the breeder actually used good fins in his breeder stock that produced good finnage. many of the new variations that are becoming available are shorter finned so that the breeder can work more on color and body shape. after they develope a true producing color then they will work on producing finnage to their personal liking.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks fishin and guess I will know for sure what they look like when they come in .Should I be looking for anything else fishin and should it just look purple or be purple .I do not understand as it says it should be kept in certain temps in the petco thing jw showed and even my fantails there say the same thing ,I have had my fantails in my pond and never had a problem with them and this is the first year for my pond heater and it has been a really mild winter compared to last winter .My second pic shows how bad the snow was last winter here .This winter no snow and warmer temps .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy, Petco puts a description and recommendations out there for general knowledge. They have to cover from the complete novice to the most advanced in a generic explanation. All gold fish are the same and should be treated as such, The only thing you want to keep in mind is that new variations and breeds can have weaker resistance to illnesses. Oranda's being probably one of the most fragile due to the head growth, and then the bubble eyes second again due to the large eye sacks that can get injured or are weak at fighting off diseases. What you really want to be on the look out for is fake coloration. You've seen enough goldfish and koi, a dyed fish will stand out like a sore thumb. From the pic I think they are being breed just like a chocolate, blue, yellow, etc. just a color morph that has a maroon/purple hew over a bronze-orange body. Be sure and look for deformed fins, missing gill plates, overly bent backs, and any other deformities. In early stages of developing a new strain many breeders will hold on to some of the nice colored fish that have slight deformities to see how they develop. Of course they are going to hold on to the best of the best for themselves and then sell off all that may have deformities but good color to make them available and known. It's very common that the fancier and newer the strain the more deformities will develop or show up at the retail market. Breeders are going to try and reduce #'s so they can work with the best to make them better. This is why when your buying from a PETSTORE (NO MATTER WHAT COMPANY) you inspect closely and Quarantine your fish. Pet stores buy from dealers that buy in bulk, Bulk buying is usually the culls for someone else. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but these are going to be the fish that have been kept in the most crowded holding tanks, they are the rejects and in many cases aren't kept in the prime tanks or ponds but in massive holding areas until they can get them big enough to distribute.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks for the info and i will check it out closely and since I now have 3 very large fish tanks it will be kept in there for a month if I get it and still not sure about that algae eater ,I have spent hours trying to get more info and find someone who has .Three things I found about aggressiveness when bothered by other fish .That I'm not sure of as why would the fish bother it ,just nosey or what no explanation why or what happens .

Ask a Question