Skimmers and fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My fish keep going into the skimmer and I think it's cause of the spawning chase. How do you guys prevent this from happening? Anyone with ideas? One of mine go stuck in the doorway today and nearly died from being without water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is not much that can be done that will not impair/reduce the functionality of the skimmer. Large adult fish should not have a problem if the skimmer is not too small. I have for years observed fish that enjoyed 'playing' in the skimmer....swimming in and out....enjoying the area of increased water velocity. There is always the danger of a fish getting trapped in the skimmer if the skimmer is small and the fish cannot turn around to swim out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm debating finding a chiken wire that can be put there or maybe a paint screen.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm debating finding a chiken wire that can be put there or maybe a paint screen.

That will keep the fish out, but it will also keep any but small debris out of the skimmer. Any barrier will greatly reduce the functionality of the skimmer and may result in higher pond maintenance.
One has to decide if the trade-off is worth it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen people string a pool noodle across in front of the skimmer .Not sure it works but they claim it does

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I found one of my female koi in the skimmer a few weeks ago, while spawning. She was fine, but I don't think she wanted to come out - LOL! She'd released a bazillion eggs in the skimmer. My skimmer design has a sizable plastic basket and no exposure to the pumps.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I put a piece of plastic deer fencing over the opening of mine for this very same reason. So far, no more casualties.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the concern here would be for any one who has a lot of leaves, etc that might build up against the barricade, stopping water flowing into the skimmer. You could damage your pump and/or accidentally empty your pond if you didn't watch it carefully.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
how are you securing that?
I cut a piece just larger than the opening and I slipped it into the flap inside my skimmer. So far its holding. I don't have any trees near my pond to shed leaves so I haven't noticed that its hindering the function of the skimmer.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I gave up on my skimmer working correctly for that reason. I keep my skimmer box stuffed full of filiter media and they can't swim in.

Ask a Question