Sleepless koi in pa

Lynette

Koi fish mommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone, well this will be my first winter with my beautiful koi. This is more than a hobby, we have actually named each fish, and I'm loving every minute of this experience. We've prepped the pond and waiting for pond guy to shut it down and winterize. My question is why is it that the fish only come out late at night, I thought they where hibernating ? Is this typical. This is all new to me and I feel like an over protective mother ....any advice would be greatly appreciated

Lynette

Koi fish mommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds like predators or what the fish perceive as predators are around during the daylight hours. They are hiding.
Ahhh, I put a rather large owl statue by the waterfall to keep the birds away. Maybe I should remove it during this time of year ? I also removed all my goldfish, maybe they think I'm going to scoop them out ? I feel like a first time mommy lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Have you posted in our introduction area yet? Why don't you tell us a little about your pond, where you live, etc. And we always love to see pictures if you have any to post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, well this will be my first winter with my beautiful koi. This is more than a hobby, we have actually named each fish, and I'm loving every minute of this experience. We've prepped the pond and waiting for pond guy to shut it down and winterize. My question is why is it that the fish only come out late at night, I thought they where hibernating ? Is this typical. This is all new to me and I feel like an over protective mother ....any advice would be greatly appreciated
I hate it when people say oh my pond guy this or that , it means that you yourself are not in charge of your pond he is ,
Weve been keeping 29 years now and make sure we are as informed as we can be on all pond and fish health issues , how are you supposed to learn these things if you leave things "to my pond guy", what if you cant reach him what are you going to do then ?
Eductaing yourself would be the smartest way forwards , it was for us .

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I hate it when people say oh my pond guy this or that , it means that you yourself are not in charge of your pond he is ,
Weve been keeping 29 years now and make sure we are as informed as we can be on all pond and fish health issues , how are you supposed to learn these things if you leave things "to my pond guy", what if you cant reach him what are you going to do then ?
Eductaing yourself would be the smartest way forwards , it was for us .

I'm a "pond guy", Dave. Many people have "pond guys". Just like many people have "pool guys", and "garden guys" and "tree guys". "Pond guys" are the guys that plan it, build it and then, should the customer request it, maintain it. I always have the homeowners as an audience when servicing, cleaning, opening, closing, repairing, etc. If you want to learn, then watch.

Not everyone has the time, the interest or the capacity to look after a large pond, they merely want to enjoy it in a continual state of beauty.

Lynette

Koi fish mommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello everyone,thank you for all your input. David, it is my goal that perhaps next year my husband and I will be more knowledgeable regarding our fish and pond. I've have been educating myself and joining this blog is another attempt to do so, "you know like minds" And Mr Pond Guy, thank you, for your input as well, the fellow that did our pond created such a beautiful pond and he has alot of info and wisdom to share as this is his passion. Its always good to help some else obtain work. oh boy, last night we had a bear in our yard, but the fish are pretty good at hiding, and they have caves and tunnels to hide in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lynette You will start picking up on stuff, and the learning will come. It is true that not everyone wants a pond for it to be their hobby, so there's nothing wrong with having someone else look after it for you. Ask questions and pay attention.

Just keep in mind that a lot of what we [GPF members] read on the internet [this forum and others] regarding "pond guys" [not you, of course, @morewater] is from people who have had a pond "done" for them, but started having problems, either with the pond itself or with fish issues. Which means, by the time we're hearing the story, it's already gone downhill and the poster is trying to pick up the pieces. Most of what we hear about is "pond guys" who were just out for a buck and who had very little working knowledge/experience in the pond business. That doesn't mean they're all like that. But do keep that in mind, and never hesitate to question something that doesn't sound right.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I wish I had a pond guy.
Someone to enjoy a beer with beside the pond.
I expect my pond to look after itself.
:LOL:

Ask a Question