j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Normal is boring...............I like some crazy in my life but not so much that they carry me away to the funny farm where they claim that life is beautiful all the time
burla2.gif

So we going back to the sludge topic now and our perfect and un-perfect ponds. Plants rule, poisons drool :goodnight:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hate to break in with bad news, but there is no such thing an "normal"! Humans are all so different, culture, languages, foods, religion, style .... different behavior. If your looking for "normal" you will be looking for a long long time! Gave up on pretending to be normal a long time ago. Now I can just be plain happy!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
There are some products that I used in the past that work real well for sludge. Shac ponder worked real good for me. There are other all natural products that would work too, some people I know had good results with the Laguna line too. :)

Love all the little crittters that jump and move around that some of you guys got going on in your posts. :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A bit late, but... Laguna's Bio Sludge Control apparently works very well. I've never used it, but have a number of repeat customers who just love the product. John
How long does it take before it starts clearing or seeing results?!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How long does it take before it starts clearing or seeing results?!
This is a very old thread. You might want to start a new one to address this issue as many of these people are no longer active members. IMHO, use a fine net to remove sludge. When you use a “sludge remover,” all you are doing is converting one type of waste into another type of waste — and that can mess with the balance of your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
thank you, my build this time was based on easy, nature, easy, make it work, easy, balance, easy, I really do not mess with the pond at all, clean the leaf baskets off and on, feed the fish ow, ignore it, except to enjoy the beauty of it all.

oh and about two times in a season ie summer net the bottom
This is exactly what I do (or don't do) with my pond.
I keep it as natural as possible.

My pond is almost self running. I do almost nothing. I net the bottom in the Spring and in the fall. I'll pull any tropical plants in the fall that will not survive our winter. That's the extent of any "work" I do.

I never do water changes or add water either. Nature does that for me. If I lived in a very hot climate with little rain and a lot of evaporation, I guess I would have to add water every so often.

Also, ponds require patience. Nothing happens overnight.

Ask a Question