Small Bumps on top fin

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
As some may have read helping me with my other problems (thanks by the way!), I have a 2000-3000 gallon pond. I haven't done the exact measurements yet.

I currently have goldfish (fantails, shubunkin, comets) and Koi.

My current problem is this: My koi are fine. They are all eating, swimming, and appear to be visually healthy.

However, Tuesday morning I woke up and went to feed the fish, and one of my medium (4-6inch) comets was dead. His gills looked fine, he had no odd bumps, or any indication of flashing. I say medium, because he was not my biggest fish, so I believe it is not a lack of oxygen.

My finding while feeding the fish though, is that on the top fin (the one on their back ) on some of my comets, appears to have a small red bump at the end of the fin, towards their tail.. I've tried google, and my research has turned up little. Any help is appreciated. I would provide pictures, however, my fish are fairly elusive and have a lot of water they can hide in. If pictures are necessary, I will try to provide them.

Now, as I said my Koi are fine. My goldfish seem to be fine too. They all swim and eat etc. With one exception being one of my larger female fantails. She is currently not eating that I know of, doing very little swimming, and just kind of drifting around opening her mouth and closing it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you haven't done so already, please check your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH.

How many fish do you have and what size are they? Koi and goldfish. When you say "medium" or "small," we don't have a reference to what that means, so can you give an approximation in inches, or use the size of your hand to estimate.

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
4-6 inches, it's in the parentheses. I have 12-20 small goldfish (1-3 inches), 7 medium koi (4-6 inches), 5 larger goldfish (5-7 inches), and probably 5 medium goldfish (4-6 inches)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It my well be that your fish has hit hi dorsal on some obstical in your pond they do this from time to time and they normally disapear withinn aproximately 2-4 weeks however the red worries me as it my indicate an infection , could you please provide a photo of the area where the damage is .
We also as Turtlemommy has said need to know your water perameters could you please provide them for us .

Dave

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
Will do, just haven't had time to take the water in, and currently I do not have the test kit, but should soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Will do, just haven't had time to take the water in, and currently I do not have the test kit, but should soon.
Test kit are an essential part of your tool kit in keeping your fish alive and healthy I suggest that buy an API pond test kit asap .
That will do the job for you but e beed to know them before we proceed

Dave

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
I took my water to the fish store in town along with a fish. Said water was good, gave me no parameters though. Said the fish had an anchor worm.

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
He told me to try to remove the anchor worms as best I can. Other than doing this, what else can I do to try and aid my fish? Some fish I don't think I'll be able to catch and remove the worm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
He told me to try to remove the anchor worms as best I can. Other than doing this, what else can I do to try and aid my fish? Some fish I don't think I'll be able to catch and remove the worm
They are giving you bad information there because anchor worm will not only be on a fish but in the pond too from the egg through the juvilille stages and onto the full grown adult stage which means were there is one there are possibly alott more.
Secondly they should have given you the following Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Gh and Kh levels because this is what you asked for so you should have been give a list of readings and of what levels they are currently at, so please invest in an API pond test kits at the soonest so we can see what those levels are .
Any business here in the UK has to put their staff through QATA which gives them a working knowledge of fish , you should have been told how to treat anchor worm not remove them as best you can because if not treated correctly they will reach plague porportions in your pond (I've seen a goldfish that was covered from head to tail by them) they should also have told you to treat the wounds left behind to avert any secondary infection from the wound site .
Ok s here is what you have to do, first off you must sedate the fish then physically remove the adult stages ith tweezers ( be sure to sterilize them first ) * whether you like it or not you will have to catch the fish, once this is done then paint the wound site with malachite green and spray with propolis (you can get the propolis from any health food store).
Next you have to treat your pond not once but two or three times (sometimes more dependant on the infextation), you will need to go back to your fish store to buy the treatment if they suggest an organophosphate based treatment like superverm refuse it as it will kill your goldfish so you need to get hold of the latest non organophosphate treatments and treat your pond accordingly .
I hope for your sake you take this onboard rapidly because you dont want to let these get out of hand .
Bellow is a photo of a goldfish with anchor worm and the life cycle you have to illininate to clear your pond of this

* note this is vitally important you do !!!..........
anchor2.jpg

Anchor worm.jpg

I hope this helps you ?

Dave

Last edited:

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
I've looked at jungle labs parasite guard and anchors away. Anyone had any luck with these? And it was very helpful. I appreciate it. So I'll have to get oil of clove, malachite green and something to kill the younger anchor worms while also removing the adults

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
Well no one near me carries malachite green. I found oil of clove, and will look for the non organophosphate treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well no one near me carries malachite green. I found oil of clove, and will look for the non organophosphate treatment.
You'll also need to get some propolis spray from your local health food store (tip) also buy the Liquid Propolis you can add it to your fishes pelllets soaking them in it and feed it to your fish as a health booster .
Propolis is a by-Product of bees and is what keeps the hive healthy we UK koi keepers us both all the time I even spray my throat with it when its sore

Dave

Ask a Question