sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The momma bird will come back every year .I know I have one on my side porch and have tried for years to deter her buy nope .I have knocked the nest down put up chicken wire and fishing line but she manages to pull the stuff out and build again .It has been 4 years of her coming back
101_0636.JPG
101_0640.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I actually don't like eating the berries and stuff, but its a food forest so, must have the berries! ill eat them if I have to lol! I like blue berry's, and strawberries and such but just not black berries and raspberries. To seedy for me, I remember when I lived in west Virginia old past our old field into the woods (or on the edge of it) right next to the big stream, there was a good sized row of black berry bushes, never seriously picked them though but we did make some good jelly & jam!
the ducks and chicken will love it ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Forgot those! great thinking
Add blackberries, blue berries, rasberries, strawberries to the garden garden list lol!

Here's a question for everyone;
What is your favorite home grown food? (organically grown)

Mine would be a carrot, the taste between a home grown organic carrot between a store bought carrot, is phenomenal. Same for Eggs!
kale and cucumber. arugula and cilantro in the salad are great too. and tomatoes!! Only my husband eat tomatoes but I planted 6 different kind for him :) I only like the cherry tomatoes once in a while. the chicken and duck will love it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yea the property is 30 acres, and we have only cleared whats shown, I love going into the woods so no plans on clearing it further!
nice land. We live very close to the city so our 5 acres are almost the last big land around. and we have huge black walnut trees spread all over the property so I couldn't plant as much as I would like to.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Black walnut goes for lots of money here from the places that take down trees .They pay a lot more to homeowners that have certain kinds of trees .I had the 12 acres selectively forested .Needed space for the horses

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Black walnut goes for lots of money here from the places that take down trees .They pay a lot more to homeowners that have certain kinds of trees .I had the 12 acres selectively forested .Needed space for the horses
back in WV Black walnuts were a delicacy, to make them you have to be extremely careful as to not get the shell in any of the actual nut. As it can cut your throat open like a razor. We never tried to sell them but we gave them away every year we harvested them off the trees (had 50 acres at the time). We’d get our 2 wheel wheel barrel and go gather up the walnuts, bring them back to the driveway, in the wheel barrel we would individually remove one walnut at a time and smash it with a sledgehammer on the ground to harvest the inside. We had other methods but that was mine. Then we would (over the course of a week) separate the shell from the nut, and can them. I never actually ate them but I liked the process and giving them away, people loved them. Black walnut trees though disable other trees growth within a certain perimeter of the individual tree, kind of like cedars. Territorial tree.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've never try eating the black walnut yet. I've been here this is the 3rd year. I dont think we will sell the tree as even when cut the tree down, the roots's where the juglong is and unless we take all part of the roots out we still wont be able to plant a lot of things. And we like the look of big trees :)

When do you harvest the walnut? when the nut still green or black?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've never try eating the black walnut yet. I've been here this is the 3rd year. I dont think we will sell the tree as even when cut the tree down, the roots's where the juglong is and unless we take all part of the roots out we still wont be able to plant a lot of things. And we like the look of big trees :)

When do you harvest the walnut? when the nut still green or black?
We harvested them when they fell off of the tree, they should be Black. If you try, make sure you look up a how to video on youtube or something so you know exactly how to do it to be on the safe side!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had a tree taken down in NJ . A huge one and they stumped ground it and even did the roots down to 3 feet .Had no choice it was a hazard to the house .The company paid us for the tree since it was a really nice maple tree and after that it ended up only costing us 180 dollars more .

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
2ajp6k1.jpg

@sissy New jewrsay??? (insert north accent)
2mdrko6.jpg

Got some flower pictures here (ok now I keep using a northern accent while typing this rofl)
i3s2oo.jpg

nq35h4.jpg

We just planted like... 60 more plants in the garden, 40 being lilys... Help me... LOL gardening addiction!
2prh4j7.jpg

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
2m34g8k.jpg

Planted blackberries, red dogwoods, lilys, and some flower that just looked really unique. (above pic)

302s6er.jpg

11bpxl2.jpg

1z4c12v.jpg

2wna6gx.jpg

its hard to upload all these HD images, anyone have a better up loader site thing?

Last edited:

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just put your last photo into Photoshop and it is 2048 x 1536 pixels and over 400k at high resolution. (The forum automatically resizes it.) If you can resize your photos yourself to about 800 x 600 or 650 x 450, they will be under 100k easily and will upload much faster and they will appear at the same size they are appearing on the forum now.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just put your last photo into Photoshop and it is 2048 x 1536 pixels and over 400k at high resolution. (The forum automatically resizes it.) If you can resize your photos yourself to about 800 x 600 or 650 x 450, they will be under 100k easily and will upload much faster and they will appear at the same size they are appearing on the forum now.
alrighty ill try that real quick, will tell you the results I get. :brb:

Ask a Question