Small nature pond - which waterfall filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've somehow agreed to creating my first nature pond for the kids. Typical bloke I started digging, THEN reading up
:lol:

I've got a fair idea what I'd like to create, a small nature pond roughly 1.4mx2.5m and 0.6m deep with a 20cm self running round most of the sides. I'll aim to line it with Firestone 45 with an underlay and overlay, and then build a small waterfall.

I'm not planning on any fish, purely taddies, frogs and critters for the kids.

I've slowly been sourcing yorkstone and local Derbyshire stone to dress the pond, and will aim to plant plenty of oxygenating plants.

My question, I'm on a tight budget so what sort of pump and falls kits would you recommend?

The falls can/will be circa 30-50cm above pond level and I'm looking for a gentle cascade over some York stone.

I've seen in some pond sites mention of overflow systems, would that be necessary in a below ground lined pond?

Here's the very start of the dig! Any other feedback and ideas welcome. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_190118.jpg
    IMG_20210418_190118.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the best way to choose any product is to read reviews. I always google search "best (whatever product I'm interested in) for 2021" and then start reading. Then I go to whatever site I'm hoping to buy from and read reviews there. Real people giving real experience is the best. Since you're in the UK, you'll have different manufacturers and suppliers than we would, so I won't even attempt to suggest any of the ones I like.

Remember this though - a pump is easy to replace so taking a chance on one that's a bit cheaper isn't the worst idea in the world. A waterfall box shouldn't be a budget buster. You could even use just a spillway kit on your small pond.

Here's a prediction though - you will have fish in that pond before you can blink an eye! So plan for them!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the pointers. I'm already under pressure from the kids on the fish

Is a spillway kit one of those "bottom up" type filter boxes with an open edge for the water to pour over and out of one side?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the pointers. I'm already under pressure from the kids on the fish

Is a spillway kit one of those "bottom up" type filter boxes with an open edge for the water to pour over and out of one side?
It can be, but that is more of a waterfall filter as it has bags of bio media in it. A spillway kit is more of long rectangular box that’s profile can be hidden easily. This gives you the long flat edge that gives the waterfall a sheeting appearance, which is all it is meant to do.

Also, the overflow is unnecessary if you design your pond so water can just flow through the upper rocks at the pond edge and just seep into the yard, which is what I have always done in my ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I filter with a bog. It's the best filter I have every had. It's maintenance free and a great place to grow beneficial plants.

You could easily build one up there on top. A small raised bog flowing back to the pond.

The bog surface area needs to have about 30% of your ponds surface area.
It needs to have a liner or some other way to hold water. Some people use window box planters, stock tanks or a flexible liner.

It needs about 12 inches of pea gravel covering a PVC pipe with slits cut in it and the end capped off.

Water gets pumped through the PVC pipe, rises up through the gravel and returns to the pond.
Plants are grown directly in the gravel, no soil or pots.

The gravel filters the solids and provides surface area for beneficial bacteria to break it all down.
The plants thrive on the excess nutrients in the water. The result is clear water with little if any maintenance.

A bog can be any size, huge or just a small container.

Here's my bog build thread. It's much larger than you will need, so scale it down, but you'll get the idea...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I also only filter with a bog. Love never needing to clean filter pads etc.

Ask a Question