Small Pond Too Hot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Dogs can get heart worm from drinking mosquito infected water

No they can't:

We checked this out with our vet when we first put the pond in as our dogs are OBSESSED with drinking pond water. They ask to be let out just to get a drink from the pond, passing right by the clear, clean, cool water in their dish on their way out the door!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They can't get heartworms from pond water, but they can ingest Leptospira bacteria, which is dangerous- causes Leptospirosis.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No they can't:

We checked this out with our vet when we first put the pond in as our dogs are OBSESSED with drinking pond water. They ask to be let out just to get a drink from the pond, passing right by the clear, clean, cool water in their dish on their way out the door!
The first sentence in that article has me confused. “
Mosquito Bites, Not Larvae
Though larvae cause heartworm and they're transmitted by mosquitoes, mosquito larvae don't cause heartworm in dogs.”

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is your confusion? The infected mosquito larvae have to enter the bloodstream and that will happen only with a bite. Ingesting them will not cause any harm to the dog.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is your confusion? The infected mosquito larvae have to enter the bloodstream and that will happen only with a bite. Ingesting them will not cause any harm to the dog.

Look up the life cycle of heart worm. They are not talking about the mosquito larvae as what is entering the bloodstream, they are talking about the larval form of the heart worm!

Mosquito bites infected dog. Mosquito picks up heart worm larva (or eggs, whatever). Mosquito bites non-infected dog and passes larvae to dog. Change gears. Mosquito lays eggs in water. Mosquito larvae develop. Mosquito larvae do not have the “infection” until they grow up, turn into mosquitoes and back to the beginning.

MOSQUITO LARVA DON’T TRANSMIT HEARTWORMS

98539611-C247-457F-A0C3-1B81DE2C11B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 94FEBA2E-B1AF-4720-81BB-D6C13F2F5BF3.png
    94FEBA2E-B1AF-4720-81BB-D6C13F2F5BF3.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 2B8B9CF8-E0D7-4EA2-A730-7223B71C652A.jpeg
    2B8B9CF8-E0D7-4EA2-A730-7223B71C652A.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 77

Jeff G

A bird stopping by for a drink.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just to note: OP has a TWENTY gallon container pond.
I am aware the OP has a 20 gallon pond. That is why I suggested the nozzle and calibrated leak with the .22 casing. A 0.015" drilled hole in the bottom of used .22 shell and placed about 1 ft below the surface would leak ~2 gallons per day.

A similar size home-made nozzle with 50 psi water press would flow at about 2 gallons per hour. A 1 hour timed run would bring the level back up to the desired level. The time could be adjusted to get it perfect. Try it for a day or 2 and add or subtract to the one hour.

A water timer control can be had for about $20. The hose is probably something he already has. The leak can be attached to a drain hose to direct the water away if it is a problem, although 2 gallons per day is not much and not likely a problem.
This setup will maintain itself automatically. Low stress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
put dunks into black knee Hi stocking tying it closed and then float it or set something on it to keep it from going into the skimmer.. You won't see the dunk and it won't break all up into little pieces and end up in the skimmer. I do this with the quick kill so that the corn kernels or whatever they are that is left behind can be pulled out later.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
put dunks into black knee Hi stocking tying it closed and then float it or set something on it to keep it from going into the skimmer.. You won't see the dunk and it won't break all up into little pieces and end up in the skimmer. I do this with the quick kill so that the corn kernels or whatever they are that is left behind can be pulled out later.
The OP doesn’t have a skimmer. This is a 20 gallon container pond.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Recently we had 48.7° (119.7°F) My ponds were good because of the size even though in full sun but I put frozen 2lt bottles of water lid on, in the animal troughs to keep the water cool. works well for severe heat. Mum uses that for her small pond and shades it on those days.

L

Lin

I have a small 20-gallon container pond growing lotus and I've been very concerned about the temperature being too high considering I'm trying to get a couple of minnows. During the day the temperature has been running to about 98 degrees Farenheight. I have the container pond lifted off of the concrete already for airflow and to get it off of the hot stone, I also installed a solar pump to keep the water moving. Do you guys have any tricks or ideas? I know I've got a really tiny container going here so It'll be tough to keep the temp down but I'm trying my best. Any tips help!
I used to dump trays of ice cubes in the water to temporarily cool it down. As I made my Pond bigger, the Fish kept pushing the ice cubes around so I quit doing it as I wasn't sure if the ice could hurt the fish.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
along with ponds my family keeps chickens, and they were getting heat stressed, so we now have pne of those five dollar misters set up, wich you could possibly do around your pond, but another thing we do for the is freeze a bowl of water so the top layer is ice, the put it in there water contianers and it helprs temendously, I would sugest doing something with Ice as the last person said :)

Ask a Question