Small pond with big rocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a picture of the space, which is a bit of a mess with everything going on. The idea is for the pond to go under the deck of the play house. I've stacked up the cinder blocks and tiles to about the height and thickness of the rocks, though I'd like it to extend farther to the left.

I swear it will look less janky once the tarps and rubble are gone!

Attachments

• backyard treehouse 20220410_121959.jpg
    backyard treehouse 20220410_121959.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, here are the type of rocks I'm thinking about using. They are nice in that these thin slabs let the be large, but fairly moveable. I can also get them cut at the back to make them take less space, but still present a nice face to the yard. (for scale, those are about 9" high and the widest one in the picture is about 60" wide)

Attachments

• lava rocks 20220410_145741.jpg
    lava rocks 20220410_145741.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are at American Soil & Stone in Richmond, California. They are super cool and it's hard not to get carried away. But then I think about having to move them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's actually not that small - you could build a pretty pond in that space! I'm still anti-large stack of rocks though... How about a small waterfall with some tall plants behind it for covering up the things you don't want to see?

The problem with over building a waterfall is it will never look natural. You don't ever see big piles of rocks just laying around flat areas in nature. (Or if you do, nature didn't put them there!) And in a small space, scale is important.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The rocks for edging would be great by the way - just not stacked. Whenever you use rocks, you want them to look the way the looked in their "natural habitat". Those big slabs would never just be stacked up somewhere.

Ask a Question