Small solar powered pond build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Since my back yard was previously covered in flagstone and cement I did not want to cut into it to pull electricity to run a pond. I decided to go solar. I had my contractor that had done the previous work on my yard come back and do this build for me. I did the electronics and piping and he did the digging and cement work.

pond_build_001.jpg

I decided to match the Arizona Gold flagstone and white caps to match the wall next to it.

pond_build_004.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
How it looks today. I am still waiting on the contractor to return with three large flagstone to cover the skimmers and a shelf for the future fish to hide under.

pond_build_031.jpg

The waterfall was splashing outside the pond so I made a pool on the first step. Bonus, the birds like to drink from it.

pond_build_032.jpg

The bog is not finished. It needs flagstone inside to seal the liner.

pond_build_033.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I have 2 660GPH pumps for the waterfall and two 240GPH pumps for the bog. There are two 100W cells, controllers, marine batteries on separate circuits.

pond_build_017.jpg

pond_build_028.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
The skimmer boxes are DIY from totes. They have bioblox I designed and 3D printed. I need to make more. They each hold two pumps and not shown is a leaf basket that fits at the intake. They are working well so far and keep sucking in my water lettuce. They are dirty since I keep the tops off most of the time waiting for large flagstone to cover them.

pond_build_020.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
If I need to replace or upgrade a pump in the future I made sure to run the electric wires thru PVC. It would not be that difficult to dig it up but would make more work to do it. The same with adding more solar panels if needed.

pond_build_027.jpg

Abra Cadabra. pipes gone.

pond_build_03029.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
nice work! Wow designing and 3d printing your own parts. Did you wire up and build the those circuits for your fuses, charge controller, etc also?

I love the idea of using solar.

Are you planning to put fish in the pond?

(Sorry if you’ve answered all of this elsewhere)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
nice work! Wow designing and 3d printing your own parts. Did you wire up and build the those circuits for your fuses, charge controller, etc also?

I love the idea of using solar.

Are you planning to put fish in the pond?

(Sorry if you’ve answered all of this elsewhere)
Thank you, I did wire it up. Here is a better picture. I need to clean it up a little.

We plan on just a few koi and maybe some fancy goldfish as well. We are waiting on the bog to get finished and have everything running correctly before introducing them. My wife is getting a little impatient though.

pond_build_029.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
The contractor returned today and completed the inside of the bog filter. It looks much better. One thing he misunderstood was the manifolds were supposed to go under the gravel not on top of it. Oh well I will fix it this weekend.

pond_build_037.jpg

He also brought more large pieces of flagstone to cover the skimmers and a shelf for the fish to hide in. I might just use the skimmer covers to make this larger and use some weathered wood I have to make the covers instead. This is 2 feet deep, why does it look like 6 inches?

pond_build_038.jpg

I also decided that the two 240 GPH pumps would not be enough for the bog so I purchased two more 660 GPH pumps. I will have to shoehorn them into the skimmer boxes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
For another perspective this is the view from 2017 when we had the back yard renovated. The grass was great for a few years but declined fast for many reasons so it was time to replace it with something better and more drought resistant.

flagstone_035.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Well that didn't work. The bog is still leaking. It is getting under and behind the flagstone and going over the liner. The solution was to cement the whole thing. They will add the top coat tomorrow and seal it with a fish safe liquid rubber in a few days.

pond_build_039.jpg

Ask a Question