Small pond overrun with plants

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all. I am in Australia (South East Queensland- temperate climate) and have a small garden pond 185 litre capacity.

Two years ago I added reeds and a Bacopa Caroliniana in a pot.

The reeds particularly but also the Bacopa have run riot and now take up almost the whole pond! When I tried to cut some back they were all clumped together like a mat.

I know there’s a frog living among them as I hear him/her every night so I don’t want to remove all of the reeds but would also like my 4 goldfish to have some room!

I have photos if anyone can tell me how to post them?

Just hoping for some tips for thinning out the reeds without damaging the main plant please?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1C68414B-0379-416D-93C5-3340FBEAA215.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
imo, there's really no choice; you'll have to slowly take them apart and discard until you get the amount you want. The frog should be smart and quick enough to get out of your way. Otherwise, he'd have been a snake snack long ago. Take your time, use sharp knives or saws as required. If you do this regularly, you won't have this issue again.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

You are unlikely to do lasting damage to the plants as they are a network of individually rooting stems and rhizomes. The only question is what percentage you will want to remove at one time and still leave habitat for your frog.
My inclination would be to remove about 75% of both the Bacopa and that blue 'reed'. By the way, do you have a precise name or any other information for that plant? I'm curious what its identity may be. It reminds me most of something in the Sedge Family (Cyperaceae), but without seeing flowers I am unsure.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

You are unlikely to do lasting damage to the plants as they are a network of individually rooting stems and rhizomes. The only question is what percentage you will want to remove at one time and still leave habitat for your frog.
My inclination would be to remove about 75% of both the Bacopa and that blue 'reed'. By the way, do you have a precise name or any other information for that plant? I'm curious what its identity may be. It reminds me most of something in the Sedge Family (Cyperaceae), but without seeing flowers I am unsure.
Thank you. I had forgotten the reed name but you are correct it had “blue sedge” on the label. I don’t know the botanical name I’m sorry. I bought both plants from a local nursery.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. It seems it is a very nice blue form of Carex riparia, a sedge native to Eurasia. I see online that several Australian nurseries sell it. I'm not sure it is available in the U.S. but I'll keep my eye out for it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok so it turns out the Clown fish is from Australia......................so you either get Nemo or the real thing!

1641252877922.gif
1641252937546.gif

Ask a Question