Small water softener for garden hose? Constant refilling of pond increasing GH?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy,

My small patio pond (~55gal) looses at least 1 inch/day during the summer time. I realize now I should be measuring how much that actually is and will do so this weekend! Anyways, I use a BoogieBlue garden hose filter for removing chlorine/chloramine. The fish and plants have never seemed to mind the buildup of GH, but I'm curious if they make a water softener filter that can just be connected through a garden hose.

The GH (according to just test strips) last year was consistently maxed out. I do have a liquid GH test kit now which I'll be using periodically, but as of last month (I will test again this weekend) it's already at 10 (179ppm). Is there a point in which I'll need to start either doing light water changes or look into getting some sort of softener or would that be overkill? Like I said, the fish and plants never minded in the past 2-3 years I've had the pond, but maybe they actually did and I just didn't notice lol...

Thanks!

(edit) Or I could get something like this lol...

Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
RO would work for your purpose or you could dilute mineral build up by doing partial water changes occasionally. I like to divert rain water into my ponds to freshen the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So fun fact, my GH has not changed since last month! We’ll see what it’s like in the heat of the summer when I really have to start topping it off daily, but this is still really good to see. Maybe this little filter does more than I think it does.

Ask a Question