Snails?

Kim

Reaction score
My pond is clear but I have a lot of junk on the bottom, just wondering if I should get some snails? I live in southern part of TN and just wondering also do they stay in the pond year round. Or does anyone have another suggestions for cleaning the bottom of the pond, thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not always .I do have snails but those are not the trapdoor ones I bought .The fish sucked them right out of the shells .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I got mine they were having babies
pics on durecell back up 1096.JPG
pics on durecell back up 1100.JPG
pics on durecell back up 1067.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Snails and tadpoles do eat a certain amount of organic detritus (as do Koi) but only a small percentage goes to additional body mass. The rest is just turned onto snail or tadpole (of Koi) poop which takes you back to square one. The advantage with tadpoles is that they do eventually leave the pond and take their accumulated body mass (and poop) with them. The problem with most Garden Ponds is that organic waste accumulates faster than it can be converted into body mass, hence the need for skimmers, bottom drains, scoop nets or whatever other means needed to keep this waste at a manageable level.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not so great on tadpoles I went out to find my hoses from my pumps pulsating and out of the water, turned off the pumps and both were filled with dead and living tadpoles which were clogging up the pumps .I thought I got all the eggs out of the pond but guess not >lucky pumps did not burn out .I fished lots of tadpoles off the bottom of the pond also .The pump cages were clogged with them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One reason I love my external pump, it ignores tads, etc and does not get plugged up. The leaf basket will catch anything that does wander towards the pump. Not much goes in, I have a 5 gallon bucket around the intake with a ton of small holes drilled in it, that distributes the inflow pressure, keeps from sucking in tads, fry etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
With all the frogs we have in and around our pond (I have four co-habitating in my patio pond right now making all kinds of eyes at each other), we've never had tadpoles. Either they lay elsewhere or my fish gobble up the eggs faster than they can hatch.

Ask a Question