SOLIDS-HANDLING PUMPS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wondering if this is an OK type of pump to have as the main pump? I know from past experience that my box turtles will be passing lots of solid stuff (seems like it can stay solid for a day or more sometimes). Don't know if it matters?!?

If the pump takes care of the larger particles, would it be possible to have the mechanical filter in place between pump & bio-filter, or would I still need mechanical filtration for what goes into the pump at the start?

Was looking at a few online. One was a Laguna & one a Savio. The Laguna was a mag drive (which is what I want), but the info said it couldn't handle colder temps. & needed to be taken down during the winter. The Savio, best I could tell, didn't say what kink of motor, but also didn't say anything about operating temps.

Trying to avoid sensory overload at this point, so those are the only ones I've looked at so far.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pumps will usually state what size of solids they can handle, is the poop hard or breaks apart if disturbed. If it breaks apart the pump should be able to handle it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should be ok with any of the pond pumps that handle solids, since it breaks apart. Not like sucking in a stick.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The pump can handle the turtle waste no problem, BUT you really want to try and find a way to remove it BEFORE it gets to the pump, that way it doesn't get immulsified and have to be broken down in the bio chamber. Any thing solid you can remove before the pump the better but it can be done and has been done before after the pump as well, just not the most effective way to clean out that much waste. If you can use a screen net or some kind of padding like what is used in a savio skimmer this will help catch a good bit of waste before it ever gets through the pump and into the actual filter chambers.

Reaction score
I've never used one but helped a neighbor install one for a long sewer line which didn't have enough slope.

"Mag drive" didn't sound right to me so I searched and found the Laguna being sold for ponds. They said the pumps handled 1/4" to 3/8" solids. This sounds a bit like marketing to me. I think any mag pump of the same size could probably handle those same size solids. Maybe they just made the grate on the front? Maybe they have a different prop, but I'm doubting it.

What I think of as a solids pump is one direct drive and basically has a garbage disposer, I think they call it a grinder, on the intake. Cost more and about 25% to 50% more to operate than a may drive.

The winter thing didn't make sense either. A solids pump is not submerged for most of the time so that's the one I'd expect the warning for. There should be no reason a submerged pump should have to be removed unless water froze to the pump's level.

The Savios can handle 1 1/4"...Goldfish size.

I second Larkin's post, bigger stuff is a lot easier to remove than ground up dust. It's pretty simple to have a gravity fed prefilter.

Reaction score
WATERBUG -- Was wanting this to be my primary (filtration) pump.

Don't know what that means. If you want it to be your primary (filtration) pump I'm not sure what the issue would be.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi Mmathis i have an olympus 9000 solid pump which handles solid mater up to 7mm for over 2years now,and works great. [pump to filter which is pressurised type..filter that is]
But im changing over my system to gravity feed as to improve water quality. ie gravity to sieve,pump to filter [home made]. return by gravity to pond. The gravity comes from below water level ie bottom drain to sieve then pumping above water level to filter. Hope this helps and last year england had two month of freezing weather and both my pond stay working 24/7.
Be advised waterbug ....the man....a person with vast knowledge.

Ask a Question