Some of the Koi story's I've heard this year.

Reaction score
Its hard to believe some of what I heard this year. People throwing a sic Koi in the trash alive, dumping them in the river, leaving them at a dealers to die on the pavement. Wow what is wrong with people???? We rescued a 30 1/2 inch Bekko beautiful Koi but she has scoliosis has a little hump on her left side she would have a 3000.00 dollar girl in perfect condition paid very little for her beautiful an majestic. The wife an I decided to set up a rescue for Koi here in Northern Ohio it will change the whole structure of the new pond design but to save these little friends it will be so worth it.The plan is too sell them for the cost of treatment and treat their selling like rescue dogs are sold meaning an interview first.
What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why should people be doing this to their koi as treating them is a realatively easy thing to do , if you have set up a koi rescue service do you have at least tree ponds to treat them in .
This is going off my friends Koi and Goldfish rescue service here in the UK your goimng to need that many possibly more .
What treatments have you in your arsenal to fight many of the problems we have to deal with , do you have a microscope anesthetics antibiotics etc to be anle to treat everything .
Do you know how to take scrapes etc ?

Dave

Reaction score
We have the microscope tools to do the job and a dealer that will supply the treatments to me. We don't expect to make money from the new kids just want to find them a new forever home to live where the people care or unless mother nature sees it other wise. I can do all that is needed even inject if needed.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As Dave posted, Do you know what to look for and do you have what will be needed to treat right away. In most cases if you find someone wanting the need for a rescue your probably also going to find deteriorating pond conditions. Also be prepared, Your going to need to have the availability to house large fish as the pond may have been set up for several years and may be the last one or two survivors, That's the good side, bad side is you come up on a green pond and you go to seine and find it has several hundred ranging from a few 1-2" to five or six over the 2' mark, All sick and malnutrition but how were you to know until you got them out? Now your responsible for their care. I am very familiar with each of these examples. I lost all my fish in one pond this past spring, I was told of a couple of koi that needed rescuing, one pond led o two ponds led to three ponds. Space ran out and what happens? yes a forth person needed help and this time a paying client. 300,000 gallons of water, 8 ponds to work with, and yes I am out of room. I've treated more fish this summer than I have treated in the last 20 years I have been in the hobby. I've lost only two out of over 100 fish rescued, yet, only 10 have been re-located so far with 8 more spoken for. So what do I do with the other 82? I will happily keep 30 of these as I actually got some very nice fish in all this too. But some are really big and I want to give them the best care I can. It's not easy finding homes for 50 10"-18" koi, food bill isn't cheap. medication add up fast, extra water changes, yes, bigger water bill, heated 300 gallon tank, Holey moley it take HOW MUCH electricity to heat a 300 gallon tank to treat for how long? I commend you for what your wanting to achieve, BUT, be careful, look smartly, and remember, no matter how hard you try, you can't save them all.

Reaction score
As Dave posted, Do you know what to look for and do you have what will be needed to treat right away. In most cases if you find someone wanting the need for a rescue your probably also going to find deteriorating pond conditions. Also be prepared, Your going to need to have the availability to house large fish as the pond may have been set up for several years and may be the last one or two survivors, That's the good side, bad side is you come up on a green pond and you go to seine and find it has several hundred ranging from a few 1-2" to five or six over the 2' mark, All sick and malnutrition but how were you to know until you got them out? Now your responsible for their care. I am very familiar with each of these examples. I lost all my fish in one pond this past spring, I was told of a couple of koi that needed rescuing, one pond led o two ponds led to three ponds. Space ran out and what happens? yes a forth person needed help and this time a paying client. 300,000 gallons of water, 8 ponds to work with, and yes I am out of room. I've treated more fish this summer than I have treated in the last 20 years I have been in the hobby. I've lost only two out of over 100 fish rescued, yet, only 10 have been re-located so far with 8 more spoken for. So what do I do with the other 82? I will happily keep 30 of these as I actually got some very nice fish in all this too. But some are really big and I want to give them the best care I can. It's not easy finding homes for 50 10"-18" koi, food bill isn't cheap. medication add up fast, extra water changes, yes, bigger water bill, heated 300 gallon tank, Holey moley it take HOW MUCH electricity to heat a 300 gallon tank to treat for how long? I commend you for what your wanting to achieve, BUT, be careful, look smartly, and remember, no matter how hard you try, you can't save them all.

Points well taken but yes I do know how to take them out, koi sock large net my pond from 16 years ago-150 thousand gallons had Koi no less than 20 inches up to 40 in fact 130 of them. Secondly if I don't know what to do- again I have help from a dealer who has save many hundreds of Koi over the years. Last should I let them die and not try to save them let 16 Koi fry on hot concrete left after hours? The new set up will have what is needed to house them for the summer if they might have to winter over there will be provisions in place to do what is necessary for them.

Ask a Question