Sparky’s Pond Build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome. Looks like it will be a nice build. Love the DIY trickle filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I am somewhat limited to what plants I can get here in Texas, but I have used Water Hyssop (Bacopa Monnieri) and Parrot's Feather with a lot of success. I have been tempted to try other plants but I like the mounding/trailing look that these plants give the box. I am thinking about upgrading my bog eventually and running PVC under the gravel because at the moment my water is just pumped up to the box with flexible tubing and then it fills up and overflows back to the pond.
I found a really good article on line of how to build a bog. http://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/
I am not sure how much experience you have working with PVC pipe? But it is pretty easy and cheap. You just need a hand saw and some PVC glue.
The projects never end. I just bot a Pond Master prefilter box and dedicated in line pump to run my little creek. The pump I had didn't have enough power to run it and the bog box.
Do you run your bog box year round or do you shut it off in winter?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I run my filter, aeration kit, and bog box year round. This last year my plants didn’t do so hot in the winter so I might have to winter them inside or cover the bog somehow to try to keep it from freezing over too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I run my filter, aeration kit, and bog box year round. This last year my plants didn’t do so hot in the winter so I might have to winter them inside or cover the bog somehow to try to keep it from freezing over too much.
May you could put some sort of greenhouse cover over it.
I am pretty sure my calla lilies won't make it through the winter, but the creeping jenny might. I hope that my irises will do well enough that I can transplant some of them in the bog box.
Have you considered iris in you're bog? They are fairly indestructible when established. Of coarse I really only have experience with regular iris, not the type that like to have their "feet wet".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Creeping jenny has no problem coming back here, either in pond, bog or on land. Same with the iris.
Thanks addy1. I this case my creeping jenny should be fine as I am pretty sure Maryland gets colder than us here in Washington.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes Creeping Jenny will be your friend for life here :smuggrin:
It likes to creep everywhere so I try to keep mine contained to the pond area. It will try to grow out into my grass but it's easy to pull out unless you ignore it and let it go nuts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yes Creeping Jenny will be your friend for life here :smuggrin:
It likes to creep everywhere so I try to keep mine contained to the pond area. It will try to grow out into my grass but it's easy to pull out unless you ignore it and let it go nuts.
Thanks j.w. The plan is to have it spill over the sides of the bog box. Hopefully it helps to hide an ugly supply line or two as well. It should be easy to controls as their is no dirt nearby, just deck and stone patio.
Funny I made my yard low maintenance as possible then I go and put in a fish pond. Sometime I question my sanity.:cautious:

Reactions: j.w

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Panzer13 I stopped questioning mine long ago
upload_2018-5-15_10-56-57.gif

The Creeping Jenny should fill in nicely and hide your line. I just had to cut mine today as it was creeping over onto the walkway. I'm letting it grow to under my Japanese Maple by the pond. I'll really have to keep an eye on it tho as it is really sneaky :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
@Panzer13 I stopped questioning mine long ago View attachment 110781

The Creeping Jenny should fill in nicely and hide your line. I just had to cut mine today as it was creeping over onto the walkway. I'm letting it grow to under my Japanese Maple by the pond. I'll really have to keep an eye on it tho as it is really sneaky :cautious:
I bought three small plants from a local box store, so I may have overdone it again. But I picked up some old school shears at a garage sale last year, the creeping jenny should be no match for those.:ninja:

Reactions: j.w
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I am cringing on even saying this but, given my construction, no rocks involved, and a clean foam bottom what are my chances with a pvc liner? Long story but I need to shave some cost NOW :cautious: and I need this pond running ASAP so the holding tank on the porch can be removed for upcoming remodel (also read NOW). To me worse case scenario is I lay an epdm in a year or so if i have an issue. Stupid? Maybe ok? I’ll be fine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Sparky I used a PVC liner in my above ground build. Based on what I've heard and read I will mostly likely need to replace it sooner than an EPDM liner, but it's worked well for me so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I’m ok with it at this point. Projects get hungup when the timeline shifts and the budget changes. At this point I want to get it up and running knowing their will be a phase 2....3....4..... I just hadn’t heard much about the pvc liners. I can drive an hour and pay $80 for pvc or pay double + shipping the epdm route. Plus the wait. I’d like to have the pump running by Sunday. I don’t like rushing things but the wolves are at the door and my job load just exploded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I know nothing about painting. I can wire a house but .... Does someone know the proper steps for prepping and painting treated lumber. As you can see I did my corners and pump house in treated 1x4. Treated ply on the pump house as well. I went with treated for a few reasons. Cost, durability and the cedar up here wouldn’t pass for kindling (at 8.80 p/1x4x8!). The pond will be capped with cedar 2x6. The mini bog above trimmed with 1x8 cedar. Will trade for electrical knowledge. Lol

Attachments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As far as I know you just brush or roll the stain on and follow manufacturers recommendations as far as drying time goes, etc. A lot of people will recommend waiting a few weeks before staining or sealing treated lumber so the wood will have enough time to dry out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
This stuff was in good shape. Unusually good for PT. Cool. We’ll let it dry then. Black to match the steel. Wonder if I need a special primer. Killz? None of this will be near the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not sure about the primer but a black stain might look pretty cool by itself so you can still see some of the grain and knots in the wood?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm gonna need to redo my top boards pretty soon and your comment on cedar boards has me thinking I might need to go that route myself. I'm guess cedar boards hold up to water and weather a lot better than the standard 1x6 boards?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
You are a man after my own heart. Brilliant. Off to the home store to blow the final bits of my budget. I’m a hair over so not too bad.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I'm gonna need to redo my top boards pretty soon and your comment on cedar boards has me thinking I might need to go that route myself. I'm guess cedar boards hold up to water and weather a lot better than the standard 1x6 boards?
Cedar is used up here exterior wise a lot. The climate up here is very harsh and radical at times. Cedar resists rot, looks good, machines like butter but isn’t structurally strong very strong.

Ask a Question