Sparky’s Pond Build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I am cringing on even saying this but, given my construction, no rocks involved, and a clean foam bottom what are my chances with a pvc liner? Long story but I need to shave some cost NOW :cautious: and I need this pond running ASAP so the holding tank on the porch can be removed for upcoming remodel (also read NOW). To me worse case scenario is I lay an epdm in a year or so if i have an issue. Stupid? Maybe ok? I’ll be fine?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Sparky I used a PVC liner in my above ground build. Based on what I've heard and read I will mostly likely need to replace it sooner than an EPDM liner, but it's worked well for me so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I’m ok with it at this point. Projects get hungup when the timeline shifts and the budget changes. At this point I want to get it up and running knowing their will be a phase 2....3....4..... I just hadn’t heard much about the pvc liners. I can drive an hour and pay $80 for pvc or pay double + shipping the epdm route. Plus the wait. I’d like to have the pump running by Sunday. I don’t like rushing things but the wolves are at the door and my job load just exploded.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I know nothing about painting. I can wire a house but .... Does someone know the proper steps for prepping and painting treated lumber. As you can see I did my corners and pump house in treated 1x4. Treated ply on the pump house as well. I went with treated for a few reasons. Cost, durability and the cedar up here wouldn’t pass for kindling (at 8.80 p/1x4x8!). The pond will be capped with cedar 2x6. The mini bog above trimmed with 1x8 cedar. Will trade for electrical knowledge. Lol

Attachments

• D4725034-10BB-493E-85E6-DBEBA42F47D0.jpeg
    D4725034-10BB-493E-85E6-DBEBA42F47D0.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 167
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As far as I know you just brush or roll the stain on and follow manufacturers recommendations as far as drying time goes, etc. A lot of people will recommend waiting a few weeks before staining or sealing treated lumber so the wood will have enough time to dry out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
This stuff was in good shape. Unusually good for PT. Cool. We’ll let it dry then. Black to match the steel. Wonder if I need a special primer. Killz? None of this will be near the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not sure about the primer but a black stain might look pretty cool by itself so you can still see some of the grain and knots in the wood?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm gonna need to redo my top boards pretty soon and your comment on cedar boards has me thinking I might need to go that route myself. I'm guess cedar boards hold up to water and weather a lot better than the standard 1x6 boards?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
You are a man after my own heart. Brilliant. Off to the home store to blow the final bits of my budget. I’m a hair over so not too bad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I'm gonna need to redo my top boards pretty soon and your comment on cedar boards has me thinking I might need to go that route myself. I'm guess cedar boards hold up to water and weather a lot better than the standard 1x6 boards?
Cedar is used up here exterior wise a lot. The climate up here is very harsh and radical at times. Cedar resists rot, looks good, machines like butter but isn’t structurally strong very strong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Cedar is used up here exterior wise a lot. The climate up here is very harsh and radical at times. Cedar resists rot, looks good, machines like butter but isn’t structurally strong very strong.
And does not need to be finished.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sounds like it would be a good fit for our purposes. My pond is going on two years old and the top boards are warped like crazy in some spots. I'm definitely not going to cheap out if I replace them and I want the new material to last a long time and look nice as well so cedar is probably my best bet. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Sounds like it would be a good fit for our purposes. My pond is going on two years old and the top boards are warped like crazy in some spots. I'm definitely not going to cheap out if I replace them and I want the new material to last a long time and look nice as well so cedar is probably my best bet. Thanks for the tip!
Sure thing and I picked up the black stain. Nice call!

Ask a Question